GrandVJ 2 Public Beta - Feedback, bug reports

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Re: GrandVJ 2 Public Beta - Feedback, bug reports

Postby CHOURAQUI » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I found the solution to the crashes described in preceding message
in fact DIRECTX instal had not been performed well (as asked by your instal)
so I update my DIRECTX anfd then no more crashes
I could even solve some problem described when loading .vj from preceding version
I had the same bug that described when trigering a bank, in fact I just had to adjust the resolution in preference to match the one whith which the .vj was saved and every bank works fine from previous .vj
CHOURAQUI

Postby PECourtejoie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi all! I just received a message telling me that 2.1 is available, but I only see 2.0 in the downloads area.

I noticed that I will need to change my MBP 15", as I cannot show all the panels as I was used to on 1.6.5. (even with the nuVJ layout, one cannot show all rows of cells. Imagine with the MPC40 layout...

The toggles on the top right side will sure be useful, but I'm a bit sad, the control were not too small to be reached previously, especially when comparing the microscopic UI of some other VJ apps ;) and I can still work wihout issues with After Effects on this 1440x900px screen.
PECourtejoie

Postby paul-h » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:19 am

I found a problem in loop playback of old quicktime MPEG-4 files, apparently GVJ skips approximately the first five frames of the clip when going back to the starting point. This happens in ping pong loop mode too.
This issue is only in release 2, 1.65 is ok.
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby paul-h » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Going on testing and settin' up for saturday's gig.. I found some other issues devs can chew in :-)
Video-mapper:
1) Need non-proportional scale when selecting more than one surface
2) need to know the name of the mask applied to a surface (thumbnail is not enough)
3) using a triplehead2go, resolution list does not show the matrox resolutions, only standard ones. I have to set the res manually, losing therefore "force resolution" mode.
4) unchecking "edit grid" loses all the grid editing.. fairly dangerous :? The correct usage should be IMHO:
edit grid unchecked= transform the whole geometry
edit grid checked= transform only grid points.
This can also solve the confusion between geometry and grid handles, at the present you can pick a grid point and instead transform by mistake the whole layer geometry.

I am finding pretty difficult to migrate the mapping setup between my desktop dev machine and the staging laptop (with the triplehead2go), although it seems quite simple to copy and paste surfaces to the new display I am ending with strange behaviours.. surfaces ok in videomapper that disappear in GVJ output and so on (I'll report later on these issues).

Last but not least.. congratulations for the new activation system, it rocks!
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby paul-h » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 pm

This evening crashfest for me.. Filling up from scratch with my old visuals, GVJ stops loading the clips and comes out with a "cannot load engine" prompt. Need to reboot because the process cannot be killed.
No way to load the show again, I tried to move the folder containing what I suppose are the offending clips but GVJ gets stuck in loading showing the same filenames I moved away, even if I select skip or cancel loading.
**edit** this happens only in videomapper mode, deleting all pref files does not help.
Yeah, goin' deeper into.. despair, this night I am suppose to do rehearshals and tomorrow I'll need to go on stage.
Luckily I've got a plan B, but.. aren't we supposed to be off beta?
:P
**edit**
The show was OK, no need for plan-b. I only had some problems trying to bring back the mouse cursor in the UI screen.
I was very conservative on filling up banks.
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby vjpulp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:49 pm

One strange bug...
I open a new, empty file, load two clips into a bank und place them onto two layers.
NOTHING more.
After about 5 seconds - boom – they change their rotation – without me touching anything. Both of them.
A couple of moments later, they turn back into original position... ans so forth.

Anyone else having this issue?

(wanted to upload a screenshot, but you guys don't allow us to place pictures here, right?
vjpulp

Postby HomeCookin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm having the same annoying bug as written above. Either in synth mode or mixer mode, flash videos (or any other video formats ) seem to randomly change rotation for a few seconds, then change them back to original position. Thus, making GrandVJ 2 a no go for live performance for my needs. Going back to 1.6.5 until new patch launches.

Wishes for future patches:

- Cell colour grouping (practical for use with TouchOSC etc)
- Cell naming (for those black cell thumbnails)
HomeCookin

Postby aaintveld » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Start GrandVJ 2 on Mac Lion, chose TouchOSC as template (for an otherwise empty config), and (not so)Grand VJ will crash at once and all you can do is close it.
aaintveld

Postby aaintveld » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am

Start GrandVJ 2 on Win Vista 32 bit, open existing .vj template, you keep getting The engine failed to start; check Preferences.
But ... there is no way to open Preferences, because the error keeps over-popping.
So, crash, crash report, and not able to open an existing .vj file.
Will have to unfortunately stick to 1.6.5 (and competing products). This is not why I bought 2 license packs a few years ago.
aaintveld

Postby ENFP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 am

vjpulp wrote:One strange bug...
I open a new, empty file, load two clips into a bank und place them onto two layers.
NOTHING more.
After about 5 seconds - boom – they change their rotation – without me touching anything. Both of them.
A couple of moments later, they turn back into original position... ans so forth.

HomeCookin wrote:I'm having the same annoying bug as written above. Either in synth mode or mixer mode, flash videos (or any other video formats ) seem to randomly change rotation for a few seconds, then change them back to original position. Thus, making GrandVJ 2 a no go for live performance for my needs. Going back to 1.6.5 until new patch launches.

I've been having the same issue on my 64bit win7 8gb ram with a 1gb ATI graphics card. Was testing it and suddenly the videos on the output would rotate 45/270 degrees for a while and go back. I checked the rotating option and nothing comes up when this is happening, the info says the clip is normal.

Another issue I have is refreshing MIDI, if I lose connection to my MIDI then I need to restart GrandVJ if I want to use it again. Is there a workaroud for that?
ENFP

A plea for the devs..

Postby paul-h » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi there! We all know you are working tough on trimming this nice piece of software, but at least in these first moments please stay a little with us, we are ..lost in space trying to take the spaceship home.. Houston?
:roll:
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby VJKatza » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 am

I bought the XT version, still can't use it because of unstability and system crash when using audio.
When can we expect an update?
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby shado » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Still having random crashing despite rebuilding my set from scratch and remapping everything. I've spent many hours troubleshooting but i'm just going to give it up for now and wait to see if the next update is stable enough to rely on in a performance environment.

I may have been overly excited about the OSC feedback in a previous post because it only works sporadically. I've had several shows since GrandVJ 2 was released but thankfully i only upgraded one of my previous purchases so that i could continue to use 1.6.5, which is rock solid despite a few quibbles that i've gotten used to working around.

When booting 2.0 RC1 on a test machine, i received a message that version 2.1 was available yet it is not on the site so i am assuming it's an error. I really like the XT demo and have plans to upgrade at some point after the wrinkles are ironed out with the GrandVJ 2. I also recall mention of the ArtNet extension coming to GrandVJ and am hoping this is still in the works.
shado

Postby crabs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

i'm really sad to say this but, even on a new fresh instal of my macbook, grandvj 2 is also leaking memory and crashes after a hour or so.
i don't have this problem with other vj or editing software.
hardware setup:
2,4 ghz intel i7
8 gb 1333 mhz ddr3
amd radeon hd 6770m 1024 mb
osx lion
cocktails and wheels spin my world
crabs
Normal user

big gig

Postby paul-h » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:37 pm

so.. On friday and saturday I'll go for a BIG gig, and I'll be using GVJ XT, plz send me some some good energy and luck!
:roll:
paul-h
Advanced user

glitch

Postby paul-h » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:15 pm

perhaps I've found a glitch. Not enough time to investigate, I'll try further on.
In videomapper, deleting surfaces already assigned to mixers in GVJ and then deleting the mixers causes the relative channels not to work.. all black. Restarting in instant mode loading a blank project and restarting again in videomapper mode fixes the faulty channels.
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby paul-h » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 pm

reporting back after the show (but apparently I'm the only one posting here.. no more bugs to talk about?)
So, Two days of rehearshal and two of staging, something like 120 artists coming in and out.. My car was parked nearby in case i needed to run away quickly and.. yeah! everyting almost worked perfectly, no need to escape.
So I can finally say that GrandVj sustained four days without giving much trouble.. Me happy!
However, due to a (supposed) beamer problem, the screen suddently stretched horizontally and I had four minutes to re-match the projection mapping to the stage. Non-proportional scaling of a group of surfaces would really have helped a lot.
I was quite happy with the interface too (20" 1680x1050 display) but sometimes I missed an "at-a-glance" feedback of parameters passed to layers, and perhaps a lock override could be handy. (i.e. scaling and position params to be passed to a layer only from a chosen cell).
cheers!
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby razortongue1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 am

Quentin wrote:The release candidate of GrandVJ 2 is now available

Last changes :

- Documentation and new video content added
- UI refinements
- bug fix : ASIO was causing instabilities
- bug fix : editing a cell parameter juste after application start was crashing the application
- bug fix : the output groups are now saved correctly
- bug fix : instabilities with HD videos fixed
- bug fix : launch videoMapper button was broken

@razortongue1 : did you try the buttons "In Frame" and "Out Frame" (next to Play mode) ?? That precisely do what you describe.

For the moment there is no way to modify the input volume per cell. That feature could be added in a future update.
If you want to use generative content, a more "open" alternative to generators are flash files and quartz composer content (on mac). These can react to the sound as well.

Thank You for replying and trying to help me and make the software better....
More bugs and missing features....
I can understand you cant change input level for a specific cell right now, Well what about modifying input level for the whole project, every time i load my project i have to set the input volume back?

When moving the speed fader for a video clip it only lets u change the speed faster or slower in random number increments. So if you are trying to be precise, and the videos is playing too fast or too slow u are stuck with what you get? You guys cant make a more precise system with these faders?

When trying to adjust your end point on a video in mixer mode you have to watch the video from the beginning each time to see the small adjustment you may have made. You cant replay it from a specific location? Thats EXTREMELY time consuming when working on a specific end point on 4 min video clips...

The latch mode cant be saved either? If u save your project in latch mode it should boot up that way.
This is giving the user a lot of stuff to have to set up that should just be something that can boot up how you saved it.

These are not crazy sophisticated features i m asking for here. These should be there regardless

I also noticed a bug when adding a generator to mixer cell it wont play but if i copy it and paste it to another cell the new cell will play the generator.

also the same bug that theres new versions of software available shows during load up. It also seems to be having trouble starting projects that i have saved without me using the load last project button on load up screen
razortongue1

Postby vjpulp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 pm

GrandVJ and Mavericks - crashing when opening a project. Was anyone successful with that?
vjpulp

Postby PhasedMedia » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:39 am

-Possible bug or memory leak when loading new file to a cell while full screen is active, system locks up for a minute or two.
-Have only noticed while loading still images.
-Sometimes a still image loaded during fullscreen active will disappear from mix.
-Also, why do still images look terrible? Info for image loader gives incorrect dimensions- i.e. Custom image made at native screen resolution (rendered native 1080p50) looks extremely low-res with jagged edges, vs a flash file of same image which looks fine (smooth curves etc). Video files made from source still graphic look fine as well at native res.

I don't get this problem with MediaMaster- seems to be a problem with the image loader in GVJ2.
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Midi controls only work on 'highlighted' layer?

Postby Raygraph » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm testing GVJ2 to see if I can use it in an upcoming show, and I noticed that midi controls mapped to effects will only work for the layer that I currently have highlighted/selected.

So, if I have separate midi controls mapped for each layer, I can only use midi controls for 1 layer at a time!

In GVJ1.6.5 I would have most layers using midi controls mapped to effect parameters, and I would be able to control them all regardless if a layer was highlighted or not.

This means I can only control the effects of 1 layer at a time through midi with GVJ2 for now?

I am using a Korg nanoKontrol2 with each of the sliders mapped to opacity a layer, and I can manipulate those fine. But when I try to manipulate the effects for any layer other than the one I have selected, I get nothing? I have many effects parameters mapped to an M-Audio xsessionpro controller, and I like to be able to control multiple effects across many layers at the same time, but GVJ2 is not allowing me to do this anymore?!?
SpreadLove
Raygraph

Previous

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing