Rewire with Ableton

A general discussion about ArKaos and other software (i.e. other software that is part of your creation process like Blender, After effects, Artmatic,..)

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Rewire with Ableton

Postby jcbklyny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:49 pm

I've been using Ableton rewired to GrandVJ for a while now and everything has worked out great. Now I would like to try and control everything in GrandVJ through Ableton, which from my understanding should be very much possible.

My problem is figuring out how to map midi in Ableton to control sliders and general "knob" like controls in GrandVJ (Like Transparency or Position). Sending simple midi notes to trigger clips, and switching banks and such is easy, but how do I map an ableton control for precise control of Midi from 0 - 127?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm asking because I really like the new Akai APC40. I know I can map the controls for use directly in GrandVJ, but since GrandVJ doesnt send feedback to the controller none of the LED status lights work. If I were controlling everything in Ableton the APC40 would work as advertised but as a rewired VJ controller.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby alchemist » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Yes, you have to use "MIDI Learn" (CTRL+M) to assign the controller to the slider values.

GrandVJ doesn't provide feed-back as in Ableton Live (or NuVJ).
alchemist
Expert user

Postby jcbklyny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm sorry, I think your misunderstanding me.

I know how to set GrandVJ to learn MIDI, my problem is setting up Ableton to control slider or knob values. All I know how to do in Ableton is send simple Midi notes On or Off. So when I map a midi note in Ableton to a GrandVJ slider lets say, it's either at 0-off or Full on at 127. How do I make an ableton control that responds like a midi knob where I can have full control from 0 to 127?
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby jcbklyny » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:41 am

Sorry for the trouble,

I figured it out. Works great. Can't wait to get the APC40 now :)
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby alchemist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Hello,

When you move your faders, do you see the MIDI orange "LED" blinking in GrandVJ ? If not, you have to route the MIDI event through Ableton.
alchemist
Expert user

Postby alchemist » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 am

So you are talking about automated CC's generated by Live ?
Are those CC's emitted (not only used internally by Live) and routed trough Rewire ? Take a look in Live and check that.
alchemist
Expert user

Return to Software - General discussion about software (other than ArKaos)