video codecs for Grand VJ 2.0

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

video codecs for Grand VJ 2.0

Postby TimeOfDefiance » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 am

So I've pretty much always had problems with certain videos having issues with skipping when being played backwards and didn't ever find any consistency with certain extensions being the problem. Now, though, with Grand VJ 2.0, it looks like .wmv is completely unsupported? Or is that the codec I'm using?

Also I'm curious what codec (packs?) use? Atm I use the K-Lite codec pack.
TimeOfDefiance

Re: video codecs for Grand VJ 2.0

Postby RowanStallard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Ditch wmv files, nothing inherently wrong with the format if well encoded. Just not really much point in using it.

Arkaos requires no third party codecs to play video as support for most formats is built in through integration of FFMPEG.

Good formats to use are MJPEG, H264 (or X264), MPEG2, Some of these cane be available to you through Quicktime Pro, or software like Handbrake for x264.

Getting good encodes can be a steep learning curve, but initially watch out for files that are too small in size for the length of video that they contain, this would indicate too high compression.

Video compression for MJPEG only takes place on each frame not over time so creates big files that have good forward/backward playback capabilities.

That being said I have had very good results with H264, XVID and many other compression encoders that support adjustable keyframes. Entropy encoding is the death of a good video clip.

Google any of the key terms here if you need extra info, and comeback if you need further advice.

:ark:
RowanStallard

Postby Moabyte » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:35 pm

The only codec you need to use for VJ content is PhotoJPEG @ 75 to 80%. Ignore all other advice.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby TimeOfDefiance » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Thank you for the advice!
TimeOfDefiance

Postby PhasedMedia » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:17 am

RowanStallard's advice was good.
It's a little more complicated than use X codec for all situations, sometimes image quality is more important than ability to play backwards or scratch video clip.
I recommend keeping a portable master drive with all your original files.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby RowanStallard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Thanks for the thanks, have to admit the truncated response from the MJPEG is the only answer above left me a little deflated.

The long and the short of it is that MJPEG was and still is for some people the be all and end all of codecs, it's still a fantastic way of playing video. But when the MPEG group addressed the shortfalls of MPEG4 with the part 10 standard (becoming h264) it allowed it to become a serious playback format. A good example of this would be resolume's implementation of h264 on their special codec.

Arkaos is more lenient in its playback medium which allows for more error as well.

As this is a forum I would lean more towards discussion than absolutes. I like to take a scientific approach to problems of which there is sometimes more than one answer. So if it's complicated it's because it is!
RowanStallard

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing