GrandVJ: The feature request thread

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, crustea, pierre, polanri

GrandVJ: The feature request thread

Postby polanri » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 am

Post your feature requests for the next update in this topic.

Please use a decriptive subject and a detailed message!

We'll collect requests in this post so read it first before posting yours. Also, in order to make this thread worthwhile, please limit yourself to feature that really are important to your workflow. Remember, we can't do everything :)

• (+1) Allow FFMpeg-based audio handling
  • (+1) Re-ordering layers on the fly through drag and drop
  • Use ASIO sound drivers for line-in, so that the sound-responsive Flash movies can operate without the current 1 second delay in Windows Vista (or simply fix the current issue)
  • Custom parameters (or extra general parameters like Statement/Text) for passing to Flash movies.
  • Ability to send output to more than one screen without resorting to TripleHead2Go
  • Ability to record the produced show to disk.
  • Allow more than one effect / effect combinations per layer
  • Allow user-written effects
  • Multiple cell selection and parameter editing
  • Visual "parameters" to allow passing to flash / tweaking generators
  • Widescreen ration for preview (or any ratio matching the output resolution)
  • Support for QT markers
  • True value display rather than % for parameters
  • Direct keyboard input for parameters
  • Support for Folder playback as NuVJ
  • Renaming banks
  • Freeze frame effect.
polanri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GrandVJ: Feature requests

Postby bobbymac » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 pm

• Use ASIO sound drivers for line-in, so that the sound-responsive Flash movies can operate without the current 1 second delay in Windows Vista.
  • Custom parameters (or extra general parameters like Statement/Text) for passing to Flash movies.
  • Ability to send output to more than one screen without resorting to TripleHead2Go
  • Ability to record the produced show to disk.
bobbymac
Normal user

Postby bobbymac » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:34 pm

I think it would be cool if we could combine effects (apply more than one effect per visual). Obviously some would work better than others, but for example, the Video Split Effect is very useful, except that you then can't also apply the RGB cycle, for example.

Is there any plans to allow effects to be user-created? I would guess they are more complicated than visuals. Mind you, if we had more input parameters for flash movies, then we could perhaps achieve the same results.
bobbymac
Normal user

Postby PhasedMedia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 am

If possible, could we get an option in preferences to allow widescreen aspect ratio in master preview?
Also, can we get away from using quicktime to handle video with audio in a future update?
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby M-.-n » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 am

bobbymac wrote:

I know it's kind of a hack but do you know effect parameters are sent to flash ?

use "parameter1", "parameter2", "parameter3", "parameter4" (floating from 0 to 1)

This means that if you use it you can't really use any effect on the same layer but you will be able to map flash variables to any controller (osc/midi/keyboard)

Cheers
M.
M-.-n

Postby Moabyte » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Automation envelopes and random clip playback
Free Frame, Processing and QC support
Manual value boxes for movie speed in % (like VJ)
Fixed layout - the custom thing is annoying and wastes a lot of space, just make it all like MM and give the option of floating windows. Honestly, the tab thing sucks gets in my way, not pro at all. I like the double click on the key and FX in VJ better, its faster and neat.
The ability to make custom graphic interfaces that match and work like the gear we use.
Rewire for video.
QT marker support. You already use QT for sound, why not marker support too? I have over 10k clips with QT markers and edits that are useless in Grand.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby bobbymac » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:35 pm

M-.-n wrote:I know it's kind of a hack but do you know effect parameters are sent to flash ?

use "parameter1", "parameter2", "parameter3", "parameter4" (floating from 0 to 1)

This means that if you use it you can't really use any effect on the same layer but you will be able to map flash variables to any controller (osc/midi/keyboard)

Cheers
M.

I'm not clear on how I would set a parameter to a certain value - I guess one key sets it to one value. Midi/OSC isn't an option for me as I don't use any external hardware or other music software. If there was a "No Effect" effect, then I could at least drag the sliders.

While on the topic of parameters, sometimes it is hard to set the sliders to a particular value (such as 50%) quickly. A text input would help with that (in addition to the sliders, or even double-click to pop-up a dialog).
bobbymac
Normal user

Postby bobbymac » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:53 pm

I am pretty sure that, in GrandVJ, Flash movies don't allow what is behind them to be seen. In other words, Flash movies can't have transparent backgrounds (unlike in web browsers: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14201.html ).

So of course this feature request is: Can flash movies be set to have a transparent background? I know sometimes we can make do with a blend mode, but not always. I think a checkbox would suffice.
bobbymac
Normal user

Change layer order

Postby bobbymac » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:15 pm

(Can't you tell that I am using GrandVJ right now?)

It would be great if we could change the order of the layers in some way. Drag/drop would be awesome, but even up/down.
bobbymac
Normal user

Hue shift, levels

Postby bobbymac » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Just like in Photoshop, it would be cool if we could apply a Hue shift (not just a colourizer, but shift the entire picture's colours so that there is still lots of different colours).

Again, just like Photoshop, the ability to adjust the levels (the histogram tool) of the image. It provides more control than brightness/contrast.

Of course, these are effects that could be applied on an individual Cell. And of course, it would be most useful if we could apply more than one of these per cell. :)
bobbymac
Normal user

Postby M-.-n » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Not that I want to sound like P.I.T.A. but..

It'd be appreciated to only mention things that are critical towards working better, not just everything that goes in your mind.

Otherwise this thread is going to become totally useless for us, and therefore for you.

We appreciate your entousiasm but we can't develop everything everyone has in mind. So try to focus on the important things here :)

Thanks for your understanding
M.
M-.-n

Postby jcbklyny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:48 pm

- I'll second "Allowing FFMpeg Audio" handling as my top request!
If I can do away with Ableton Live it would be great! And No, I'm not using quicktime for ANY reason, so audio through MOV is OUT OF THE QUESTION! I would really love audio from other formats, and if you can only allow audio from one other format it would have to be mpeg2.

- Change thumbnail of content in cells!!
I cant tell you how many videos I've dropped into GrandVJ where I cant see a thumbnail preview at all, because a black frame is used by the program. This makes it a total guessing game as to which video I'm putting on. And sometimes I drop new content over old because the cell looks empty!

- Allow folder of pictures to be dropped into a cell and played in slideshow format.
This wasn't exactly reliable in NuVJ, but it's a cool feature if it works properly. I do a lot of work with digital photographers and there's really no way to drop their images into GrandVJ for display unless there are only a couple they need to show. Using the auto play next option is kind of a waste since it won't stop at the end of the pictures I want to play and will play through everything.

- Renaming and reordering of Banks.
I know you can drag the banks around to change their order which is great, but when scrolling through them they still scroll in numbered order, which sucks.

- Show effect icon in layer thumbnail when active.
This is really annoying me. When I place an effect on a layer I can't see what effect it is! I know I can change to Full preview mode but that doesnt work for me. Because even though you can see the effect on the video in the thumbnail, when you fade a layer out completely you cant see any preview at all. So I need a fix for Media view.

- Effect to Freeze a Live Camera Feed.
This is something I did all the time with my old analog decks. I do a lot of live camera work and sometimes I need to freeze or capture a moment on screen. Currently, this isn't possible. It would be great if it were. I would like very much to have the ability to freeze or capture a still frame of the main output.

- Multiple preview windows for dual or triple screen setups.
This one would be great, however I'm not expecting it anytime soon. a 4x3 preview for a dual output screen setup kind of sucks.

Thanks for your time,
John
jcbklyny
Expert user

Re: GrandVJ: The feature request thread

Postby PhasedMedia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:01 pm

midi and/or osc feedback would be a very handy feature.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby jcbklyny » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 pm

I could be wrong but if you take a look at their blog it looks like they're adding feedback.

They posted that they are adding a preset for the Akai APC40 Ableton controller with full control of the lights. I believe you can't control those lights without some kind of feedback.

- John
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby M-.-n » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 am

indeed. Midi feedback will be there for next release. In a first instance, we'll support "generic midi feedback" (i.e. it will send values out corresponding to the same midi message as the one that is mapped) and a specific APC one.

M.
M-.-n

Postby PhasedMedia » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:58 am

Thats great to hear, should make selected layer mixer mode a lot more user-friendly. Can't wait to see feedback on motorised faders on my bcf2000.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby lighttch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:17 pm

That and having the rotary on my BCF-2000 pots synch without having to initialize each one on start up.

Andrew
lighttch
Advanced user

Postby newdendrite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 pm

1) An option in mixer mode to prevent clips from starting up immediately when loaded.
2) Display of first frame when clip is not playing in mixer mode.
3) Capability for shifting layers up and down the overlay stack in mixer mode.

Thanks for including midi feedback in the next version. This will be a tremendous improvement for real time performance.

Best regards,
Michael
newdendrite

Multi-Select

Postby VJAC » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 am

After programing many sets, I have found that it would REALLY help to be able to:

Select multiple keys and apply same paramater adjustments to them all. It should be implimented as the rest of the OS is. . . SHIFT Clicking to select continuous items / keys, or Cntrl / Option / Alt clicking to select dis-contiguous items. This should also follow through to the internal browser, as right now, it's just about useless. But to have to select each and every key and apply same parameter to each is VERY time consuming.
It would be an awful waste of space. . .
VJAC

Postby cioce » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

Please add a preview function for video integrated into the GranVJ Browser, maybe a good position will be under browser in the info area.
Here an example

cioce

Postby Supermarket » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:58 am

We would like to see two major things..

1) Support for the NuVJ controller (those infinity knobs are useless for mapping at present)

2) Ability to scratch clips (again, suitable for mapping with NuVJ's scratch controllers).

We 'evolved' from using NuVJ to GrandVJ, but we still love the NuVJ midi controller, and the realtime scratch convenience we really miss. Surely supporting this controller better would allow more NuVJ users to confidently step up to using GrandVJ? It should have great potential, especially since the A/B mix feature exists in the latest GrandVJ version. These changes should be good for business.. and the users! :D
Supermarket
Confirmed user

Postby M-.-n » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am

Supermarket wrote:1) Support for the NuVJ controller (those infinity knobs are useless for mapping at present)

Nothing prevents you to use the controller at this point. The only tricky thing is that NuVJ sends midi controllers that are "incremental", i.e. instead of sending controller values, it send the difference with the previous controller value.

GrandVJ supports Midi Incremental CC's but it's not the default setting since most controllers send absolute value.

Step by step to map:

1. Go in Midi mapping
2. Select the element to map and move a knob on the NuVJ controller
3. Exit midi mapping
4. Right click the element and select midi mapping
5. Tick the "incremental" box. There's several type of incremental controller but the default is the one the NuVJ controller uses.
6. Apply

Happy mapping :)
M.
M-.-n

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:10 pm

I have an odd but potentially helpful (and space saving) request. Is there a way to make it so you can dock the keyboard (or even the maxtrix) so that it goes vertically over the "files, effects, visuals, etc..." window. That way it would maximize screen space for anyone that don't use a midi controller. It would still allow everything to fit on the screen (with a little vertical scrolling and you could probably use the scroll wheel on a mouse for that) if you docked the keyboard there.

Once I have all my visuals/effects loaded I rarely use the "files, effects, visuals, etc..." part of the screen so docking or even extracting the keyboard so it lays vertically over that unused space would allow for larger matrix size (or larger pics for the matrix) and also a larger preview window. Not to mention cutting down on all the minimize/maximizing needed.
Last edited by DJ_DragonSkratch on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no retakes in first impressions...
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:15 pm

We need a way to preview clips before they go out live to the main screen.

BTW...Thank you Soooo much for the continued support and upgrades to Grand VJ. It really reinforces my buying decision on it. Same program turbocharged! Its almost like Christmas all over again. :D

EDITED FOR THE FOLLOWING COMMENT:

Sorry...I Just dug deeper into Grand VJ and discovered the benefits of Mixer mode. SWEEEEET! My only complaint is that my effect/visual/source settings didn't carry over from synth mode. Is there a fix for that or is that they way its supposed to do it? If I save my settings in mixer mode will it override and/or wipeout my synth mode saved settings? Or Should I save it under a different file name?

I would still like to see the vertical keyboard docking over the "files, effects, sources, etc..." box. Thank you again!
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby PhasedMedia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Loving the new features.
If possible, prev/next cell buttons (like next visual button) for doing powerpoint/keynote emulation.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby JJJ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Automation tied to external midi clock would be nice and the ability to do a proper scratch like it was possible with the position controller in Arkaos Midi 3.X.

BTW - loving GrandVJ and looking forward to the next release.
JJJ
JJJ
Expert user

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:15 am

When in mixer mode, the Crossfader curve needs to be set (or adjustable???) so when you have video playing on both sides it is still at full brightness when the crossfader is in the middle.
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby hypnotica » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Layer Time Playback & Delay: In somes gig i get offen the request to plack flyers or ad's like every 15 minutes kills my insperations sometimes. IT would be great to have the option like layer 8 to play over my mix let's say a flyer every 15 minutes with a duration time of a minute. It's should be a simple setting good for flyers, ad's, dj & vj title and even help push timed artistic thematics to be pushed timely. Since i can't find a good software sequencer to do that setting for me this could be a great request for all.
Over 10 years of Visuals Stimulations!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby absolutvjs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 pm

hello,,

fervent utilisateur de arkaos vj, j ai eu du mal à me décider mais après moultes hésitations, j'ai fini par adopter Grand VJ, et après un léger temps d'adaptation, c'est de la balle.

voici quelques suggestion,

1/L'effet qui génére des vignettes genres bande dessiné comic (excellent) . Ne
> pourrions nous pas avoir un réglage de la taille et du nombre de ses
> vignettes ?
>
> 2/serait il possible d'intégrer une option supplémentaire (lors du clic
> droit de la souris permettant d'assigner divers controls sur les paramètres
> d'effets, midi etc), une option permettant d'assigner les valeurs des
> paramètres d'effet a l' audio entrant en fonction de la fréquence, de grave à
> aigu au choix)

merci.

Hippolyte :D
absolutvjs

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 am

Is there any way we can get a timed fade in/out for those of us who aren't using any external software/hardware? Basically, be able to hit a button and instead of instant blackout and instant on...when you hit the button, have a smooth, soft fade out and then when you hit it again fade back in the same way. Maybe even have it the time to fade adjustable and keep the instant blackout button as a second option.
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby PhasedMedia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:31 am

DJ_DragonSkratch has a good point about fadeout/blackout.
90% of my shows require blackouts between performers, I normally use black graphic on layer 8 or similar.
If blackout button did a 1sec fade to black rather than instant blackout (and back again on toggle release) this layer would be free'd up, and artists not using controllers could achieve a fast blackout.

eg. spacebar keyboard mapping
spacebar- fade to black
spacebar- fade from black
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby Moabyte » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm

I know its not going to get into this update, but in a future one I would like to see a better way to visually see if midi mappings are set to a cell and what they are when the cell is selected. I know each mapping is neatly listed in the mappings tab and it tells me all I need to know, but there is one problem. I have no way of quickly at-a-glance way of knowing where cell ## is.

First, it would be nice to see both the matrix and midi key cells have numbers on each cell, like we see for C key in each octave, light grey is a good color. Once a midi map is set on the cell the name should be highlighted in some way either with a dot or name color change. Second, the midi channel and cc-- formatted like ##:## -- should be added to the parameter name, perhaps even in a different color. For example, once I set a midi map for the FX parameter 1, lets say I have selected the Stroboscope, parameter 1 is speed it would then read Speed (01:08). If this was applied to all named parameters it would make it very easy to see what my mappings are set to. If I need more info, off to the mappings tab I go.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby aurelio » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi everybody. I am new.

First I must say I love GrandVJ. I have yet to see it crash, plays any format I've tried, and runs surprisingly smooth on my Windows XP Lenovo laptop with integrated intel graphics, alongside ableton live! This borders on miraculous.

With that said, it also has the feeling of a program that is incomplete, but that once complete will be outstanding. In spite of that I felt the producers of this software needed to be rewarded with my cash, and now i am a proud customer.

Now onto my personal wishes:

+A feature I would love to see is having a handful of sliders in the visuals tab which can be configured to send values to flash animations (would become variables inside activescript) These sliders, like all other sliders, would allow MIDI mapping, and therefore, MIDI could be used to control more than just the playback speed of flash movies. 4 or 8 sliders seems like an appropriate number. at least would be better than zero.

+Does rewire work on this release? I had to use Midiox. Seems to work fine that way, so I guess it's ok, just had to mention it.

+Ability to scrub the timeline of video clips (at the moment I have to set the playback mode to first frame or last frame and then scrub the endpoints if I want to get an overview of the clips contents, not so convenient) Likewise, I can see the use for automatic scrub upon moving the clip endpoints. I can see reasons for this to not scrub as well (such as during a live performance) so perhaps scrub occurs if the mouse is inside the rectangle and the endpoint moves without scrubbing if the mouse is above the rectangle?

+Dragging with the mouse while holding CTL or ALT key should result in very fine grained motion of sliders or scrubbing.

+Activation uses the mac address of WIFI cards on laptops in order to determine the machine ID. This is problematic. If an ethernet adapter is available it should use that instead, otherwise, I am forced to turn on wifi before a set just to start grandVJ only to turn it off since wifi can cause glitches sometimes and I rather keep it off during my sessions) Note that other programs that rely on hardware bound activation handle this cleanly (for example ableton live)

+A given file located in multiple cells is internally represented by a single file transport/pointer which results in certain surprises: I often have a long movie and then select various clips of this movie as my cells. Mixing across them is impossible, since they are really the same source, unless I create separate file copies. I can recognize the UI bloat that would be created if the internal notion of file pointers was somehow brought to the surface, and I can see how some people may appreciate having cells "linked" like that for certain purposes. No clear suggestion here, I just wish there was a clean way to give the user the choice to secede cells from one another when they are sourced by the same file.

+Ability to apply effects to the file on a cell "offline" so that the effect is permanently baked into a copy of the file. The copy of the file is automatically imported into the cell and the currently selected effect now appears blank.

+Most built in effects (and all the sources) have at least a few internal parameters that are not exposed to the user. I would love to have more control over such things, Maybe the same bank of sliders I proposed earlier could be the place where sources expose internal parameters. I don't know if arkaos is targeting an audience that could be easily confused with too many parameters, but my personal vote is that I can handle a little more control.

+A "curves" effect or maybe not an effect, but part of the mix tab settings. Curves, at the minimum would consist of separate gamma settings for each RGB color. A step up would be to have the following controls: Low knee, high knee, brightness and contrast, where the default would have knee values at zero and brightness and contrast would behave identical to what people know. Low and High end knee would round off the transfer function towards the endpoint, and with individual control over RGB this would allow some interesting ways to simulate, say, film saturation, or other visual "tonalities". The absolute nerdiest way to implement this would be with actual graphs, just like the curves feature in Photoshop. I know this does not make a lot of sense unless you've played with photoshop curves, so I apologize if this seems hard to get across.

+Visual feedback explaining the order in which effects and visuals are stacking on top of each other. Say if I start a clip, then start blur, then start RGB, then start threshold, I can see the effects are chained in the order they are triggered, but the UI doesn't reflect this. Popping a little number in the cells indicating its "layer index" would enhance the user feedback.

+Delete key should erase cell contents for the selected cell. Not much to explain here

+Multi cell select. At minimum it would blank out all controls. At best the controls would "synchronize" like in ableton live, so that one can set the transparency level of all selected cells to the same value. Prior to touching the control, it is somehow grayed out indicating that the cells initially had different transparency values. One can extrapolate how this would work on any other control.

+Because the last cell that has been clicked is the selected one, I often end up trying to change parameters on a cell only to find out it's not the one that is playing. Not sure how, but somehow the UI needs to prevent this from happening, or give more obvious feedback to the user. Of course, with practice I am learning and in time I will be so used to the way it works it will be second nature, but this is my fresh first impression. Maybe the "play status" of a cell could be shown in the properties with a highlight or orange surround. That way it would be obvious that the currently selected cell is not the one that is playing.

+The bitmap for the play button on a selected cell has a white surround that does not match the black background color, when using the dark skin. This seems like a minor bug, not a feature request.

Needless to say, my favorite aspect of this program is how lightweight it feels, how quick it responds, and how reliable it is. So I would not trade any of those things for any feature in the world, if it ever came down to it.

Once more, thanks for such a great product and for listening.

-Aurelio
aurelio

Postby aurelio » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Oh and another thing:

I feel like the margin around the preview clip on each cell could be less wide. I'd be happy if it was only 2 pixels wide in fact (sans the area with the button at the bottom)

Also, since the button is not really clickable (one can click anywhere in the clip) does it really need to be a button? can't it just be an even more subtle indication, such as an underline?

The point is, I feel like as much as possible, the real estate in the grid should be used to represent the preview clips.

well, enough wishing. Now I got to make an awesome set for my next gig!

Thanks again!

-Aurelio
aurelio

Postby hypnotica » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Please have all modules extractable from main program so that user can fix those dam downgrade laptops with crappy screen resolutions. Pretty Please!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby ravenmoon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:03 pm

-clear effect option for individual movie clip
-audio cue for movie clip-
-send VJ Grand movie audio to ableton live audio channel ( I see it in Ableton, but it does seem to work)
-layer designation for sources and effects
ravenmoon

Postby rigoureux » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:55 pm

An automatic feature would be nice. Like in Arkaos VJ (autosync). I can not mix and play the whole evening.
For some breaks it would be very nice the GrandVJ do it for me with a kind of Autosync.
rigoureux

Postby hypnotica » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Keyboard enable/disable option on the menu bar so that user can freelly use keyboard with no worries. Also like on lightjockey systems an keyboard function enabled when scroll lock is activated.

In Layer Matrix mode it would be nice that an empty key with a FX would not delete a layer visual and just replace the FX.
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby haraldwalker » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:08 pm

After using GrandVJ 1.2b2 live for the first time last week, my main complaint has been usability and some good suggestions have already been made:

jcbklyny wrote:- Change thumbnail of content in cells!!
- Renaming and reordering of Banks.
- Show effect icon in layer thumbnail when active.

- paste cell attributes (filters, position,...)
- separate preview windows for live video sources (I used 3 live cameras)

The APC40 integration was great and fun to work with. Thanks!
haraldwalker

Postby hypnotica » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:32 am

Plugin request category Split called Clip. Purpose is to trim out a clip without streching it so that give more space for the background layer. In the cases of those letterbox videos that have excess black borders that need somes shaving.
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby PhasedMedia » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:59 am

- separate preview windows for live video sources (I used 3 live cameras)

wouldnt it be more useful to loop incoming video feeds through cue monitors to GVJ if youre using it for cam mixing?
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby 000 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 am

By priority order :
- beat sync (actually it is the only one feature that make me using Res*** instead of GVJ)
- viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6802#p15805 --> Change thumbnail of content in cells!!
I cant tell you how many videos I've dropped into GrandVJ where I cant see a thumbnail preview at all, because a black frame is used by the program. This makes it a total guessing game as to which video I'm putting on. And sometimes I drop new content over old because the cell looks empty!
- preview windows must have the same aspect ratio than final output.
- a shortcut to toogle effect off instantaneously (maybe it already exist but I didn't found it...)
- possibilty to pause loop (it is boring to play with cue point to freeze video...)

:mrgreen:

Postby PhasedMedia » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:01 am

Now that we have audio (thanks!!!), how difficult would it be to mute individual clips, say by adding a checkbox in visual tab or adding to contextual menu in visuals list (like choosing deinterlace).

Previously I just transcoded files that I wanted to have audio into quicktime, but now that everything plays (joy :D ) I will have to strip audio from any samples and/or be very careful when unmuting pc channel on sound desk.

I always put AV stings onto their own (matrix) bank and gfx layer to keep them seperate from loops and textures.

Any ideas for best practice?
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby P-Lab » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:05 pm

PhasedMedia, do you usually use Ableton Live on the same machine ?
Imagine GrandVJ implement REWIRE with AUDIO OUT, with one audio channel / video layer, ...
It could be a solution :-)

Pascal
NETWORK-ERROR.com
http://network-error.com
P-Lab

Postby hypnotica » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am

- FX request add level parameter for cut off effects. Somes effects has less then 4 variables it would be great to add the levelk value to it. Also FX bypass button.

- FX Strobe Needs value 0 = black value 100=Fullon .

- Layers need the option to drag from the number to re-sort.

- Easy Playlist: A tab like the folders section that you can drag files to be played in a row or shuffle. Playlist then could be drag to a layer.
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby hypnotica » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:43 am

Like in Rotation mode why not have same option for position movement to scroll in/out of screen and zoom in/out.
Since there color control why not have brightness control directly in that area. 8)

My big wish list is a midi mapping off the Segment above the movie loop control. Like the option to scratch like on the nuvj with a jog control. Plus the option to assign a speed zero the a indepant midi key for a pause clip a must.

Question is there a way to assign a value to a different key for speed and have a slider with the full control of speed aswell?
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby M-.-n » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 am

hypnotica wrote:Question is there a way to assign a value to a different key for speed and have a slider with the full control of speed aswell?

There isn't. However software like Bome MIDI translator are great to allow midi transformation and mapping of several controllers to multiple functions implemented by a single control in GrandVJ. Check it out
M-.-n

Postby hypnotica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that software.

Next question is there posibility add the feature of a midi and camera refresh (re-detect) when you load the app and the device not present?

Other feature any emulator for PC to support that Quarts plugin ?

Everybody loves winamp AVS any way to support it direct without sreen grab that eats up the cpu. A plugin for that would be awsome. There's so many avs.

Position Box be great if you double click support would reset the position.
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Next

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing