GrandVJ: The feature request thread

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, crustea, pierre, polanri

Re: GrandVJ: The feature request thread

Postby 000 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Advanced keystoning would be great, Sol7 can do that with GVJ but for 4000 $ !!!
It could be usefull when using dual/triple head solution, spherical or other strange screen !!!

Postby DWK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:36 am

000 wrote:Advanced keystoning would be great, Sol7 can do that with GVJ but for 4000 $ !!!
It could be usefull when using dual/triple head solution, spherical or other strange screen !!!

Yep. I'm still hoping for advanced keystoning too. At the very least, being able to set two or three lots of the current four point keystoning implementation in Preferences > Output when using a Triplehead2go would be very helpful.

Also, is it possible to antialias the keystoning in some way? At the moment, if you angle the keystone you get jaggies.
David Kirkpatrick
Sound and Multimedia Artist
davidk.com.au
DWK
Normal user

Postby hypnotica » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:47 am

Here's an idea! Add a lock clip on track. Usage permits mixer/layer mode a matrix cell with a fx only to affect the layer without removing the clip on that layer! 8) Maybe even for positions on the matrix set without removing playing clip on layer. Be fun matrix click positions and effects.

Is ther anyway to invert that Sources,Effects,Files,... Background to reflect the dark inferace. Just put white font on that dark gray. 8)

Interface any way in windows mode give it just a bit more squeeze. How about adding the hide title and menu bar like in windows media player. Like this user wants to see it jusrt right click to show menu bar.

I some case have the option to drag .vjbank to the bank be great and time saving.
Over 10 years of Visuals Stimulations!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby apache » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 am

hello ,

very importante * Ability to record the produced show to disk.

not very importante * Allow more than one effect / effect combinations per layer

cool * Allow user-written effects freeframes ?
cool * Multiple cell selection and parameter editing

very importante * True value display rather than % for parameters and OSC , sin , tri ect for the effect , position/size , visuals and mixing value ??? a little box with choices OSC , TRI , fadein ,fadeout with a value or sync to Master bpm BPM 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 , 1 ??? .

cool* Renaming banks

very importante - Master BPM and loops video sync to bpm .. loop the video 1 , 2 ,3 or n times sync on Master bpm .

importante - thumbnails on files explorer .

cool - size go more than 100% some thing like 200%

thanks you :)
good bye .
apache
Normal user

Postby Moabyte » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 pm

I would like to request that the Crop FX be moved to a per clip setting in the position or visual tab. I often need to crop a clip but then want to add an FX to it but can't. I usually go back to the source, crop and save again, but there are those times when I can't or don't need to. Cropping seems to be more a layer setting than an FX.

I also would like to request per clip key stoning.

Looking forward to V2 with Automation, look at this for what would be best: http://zambari.info/av_calc.php
I use this a lot and it really helps to know how many frames are in 1/4 beat at 141 bpm, or whatever tempo.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Geiss Visualization Integration so PC users have something similar to that Quartz Composer thing Mac users have.

I already emailed and got a response back from the creator of Geiss (listed below) and was wondering if there was any way to get integration with Geiss (or any other of the visualizations shown at the website listed below) and with Grand VJ?

http://www.geisswerks.com

My email response from Ryan Geiss, creator of Geiss and the Geisswerks website...

Hi Michael,

The only way to do something like this is to get the Arkaos guys to implement the Winamp viz plugin interface. The interface is openly published and not too difficult - they just need the SDK available at winamp.com

- it would take a decent programmer a few days to write a wrapper layer, and it'd be done! As a result, they'd get the benefit of being able to use any Winamp viz plugin with their app.

Unless they already have done this, and there is just a specific bug with Geiss. (In that case, have you tried the latest version of Geiss, the 2008 HD update?)

Cheers,
Ryan
There are no retakes in first impressions...
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby hypnotica » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 am

Time display of clip and remaining time is a must specially when playing with videos with audio. Having DJ and MC looking at me asking how long and when will it end. I say it's a must to have that display embeded to the skin please.

Also please complete midi assignment like on the lock key.

Speaking about lock key there one important one missing the lock on a visual tab section. The use will give the possibility to lock a visual to a layer so that you can assign different positions or effects to layer without earasing the active visual 8). I recommand to ad this asap please.

Preview section request to have layer select under to view layer without mix. Will help when need to set in/out of a clip on a bigger preview.

Layer re-sort like in banks just by draging the layer number is a must!
Over 10 years of Visuals Stimulations!
hypnotica
Confirmed user

Postby pointless dav » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 pm

EVENT RECORDER
+ export/render to disk
like (or better THAN) Arkaos VJ

thank you.
pointless dav
Normal user

Postby PhasedMedia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:26 am

This only affects people using touch screens with GVJ, but would it be possible to move clip info pop-up (directory/codec/etc) in matrix panel to the bottom left panel (help window), as the pop up info obscures several other cells in matrix.
Or possibly just set a timeout for the pop up, as with touch screen use the cursor stays at last position touched.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby crabs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 pm

:P a bug free version! :P
cocktails and wheels spin my world
crabs
Normal user

Postby jcbklyny » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:39 am

crabs wrote::P a bug free version! :P

GVJ is the most stable and reliable video mixing solution available on any platform.

The Arkaos guys are doing a great job adding new features and minor bugfixes with every update.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby DJ_DragonSkratch » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Something to make up for the lack of ability to use Quartz Composer on PC??? Short of going out and buying a Mac of course.
There are no retakes in first impressions...
DJ_DragonSkratch
Normal user

Postby blaxer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Add the ability to "name" a clip, I often use several copies of the same clip cut in different places, it would be nice to overlay a small note in the matrix view on top of or just below the clip so I can see some contextual information when selecting.

Support the launchpad directly, I have an APC-40 and it's fantastic with GrandVJ but the launchpad is a great device too, more buttons, bigger matrix, more clips, you get the idea.
blaxer

Recording and Automation

Postby mixta » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:36 am

I know others have mentioned Recording Output and Automation, two of my most used aspects of Arkaos 3.6.5, but I thought I would add my voice to the chorus. I get the impression these are planned for later releases, lets hope so.
mixta

Postby PengVJ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 am

1. Numerical Input for ALL controllable variables. Including positioning.

2. Allow scaling of graphics to beyond "1 Screen". More than 100%.
PengVJ

Postby andremorro » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:46 pm

1 - BPM Tap or BPM Detection trought MIC or MIDI STEP (video sync well be a a lot easier)
2 - Auto Mode (or something like it) or a previous session to replay (need to go to the Bathroom sometime right?!)
3 - Record Session to a file or a dvd or DV output.
4 - Multiple Heads (2 different outputs)
andremorro

Postby 032981 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:44 am

The most useful feature for me would be the ability to recall scenes. A snapshot of every parameter that can be recalled. 128 stored scenes would be great for recalling complex arrangements. You could select a scene and up would come all your images, efx parameters, position's, faders... every thing! This would be like having 20 more hands.

My old Panasonic MX30 can do this, It would be powerful to have this feature with GVJ.
This would make Grand VJ the best live visual mixer I could imagine.

Also I vote for rendering a performance to file like Arkaos VJ could do. I don't care if I have to wait all night for it to render. The recordings I made with Arkaos VJ are fantastic!

Postby PhasedMedia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 am

In matrix cells could we have the name of the clip (or first 10 characters of name) below the thumbnail rather than a button graphic? You could continue to show active cells by changing the background colour of the text box.
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby VJKatza » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:28 pm

* 16 BANKS is not enough for me..
* better & more adjustable audio aware
* multiple video out (at least two)
* scaling for more then 100%
* more then 4 point keystone (a permanent keystone per layer could be fantastic for projection mapping) [while @ mixer mode]
* option to choose the generated thumbnail (which sometime is black)
* KEEP ON THE GOOD WORK! :D
VJKatza
Normal user

[b]scene recall[/b]

Postby 032981 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 am

A feature that I have to have isscene recall. The ability to hit buttons and every thing would load and run as the way that it was saved previously. All clips fire, all parameters snap back to what was saved. This would let me work live with complex compositions that take too long to build during a gig. I keep finding myself redoing compositions over and over again. I think to myself "can't I just recall the scene that I made the other day?" My old school video mixer lets me do this. 128 memory slots would be great. I do lighting at the same time and 128 memory scenes would be perfect to organize and perform with.

Postby 032981 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 pm

032981 wrote:A feature that I have to have isscene recall. The ability to hit buttons and every thing would load and run as the way that it was saved previously. All clips fire, all parameters snap back to what was saved. This would let me work live with complex compositions that take too long to build during a gig. I keep finding myself redoing compositions over and over again. I think to myself "can't I just recall the scene that I made the other day?" My old school video mixer lets me do this. 128 memory slots would be great. I do lighting at the same time and 128 memory scenes would be perfect to organize and perform with.

I was just thinking about this again. One way to work this in to GVJ would be to save scene recalls to cells.

Postby Moabyte » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 pm

@ 032981, I think you can do this using the matrix in mixer mode and setting the midi/key the same for each clip. Next set the layer and other settings for each clip. Finally, make sure you have "save mixer state" selected in the preferences. Make sure the tab locks are off. I don't have GVJ in from of me at the moment, but give it a try, maybe this helps.
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby 032981 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Moabyte wrote:@ 032981, I think you can do this using the matrix in mixer mode and setting the midi/key the same for each clip. Next set the layer and other settings for each clip. Finally, make sure you have "save mixer state" selected in the preferences. Make sure the tab locks are off. I don't have GVJ in from of me at the moment, but give it a try, maybe this helps.

Hey thanks for thinking about a solution for me. I have done all of that and it's a time consuming, work flow killing work around. It also eats up all of the matrix spots. A think being able to take a snap shot of all current variables and assigning them to a cell would be fantastic and not hard to implement.

Scene Recall

Postby 032981 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:32 pm

I just thought of a way that this could work. Click on the master out window and drag it to a cell. Have Arkaos make a thumbnail of the output window and put that on the cell with a designation that it is a saved scene. Tell me this wouldn't be useful for everybody. Please add this feature, I am a huge fan of Arkaos Grand VJ. Scene recall would Take it to the top for me. :)

Postby PhasedMedia » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 am

You could try using the new midi feedback function. Set up each look in GVJ (all features midi/osc mapped) and record the midi settings in ableton or similar. This could then be triggered to call each look.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Postby 032981 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:27 pm

PhasedMedia wrote:You could try using the new midi feedback function. Set up each look in GVJ (all features midi/osc mapped) and record the midi settings in ableton or similar. This could then be triggered to call each look.

Thanks,
I am doing this already. Using Akai APC40 and live. Time wasting work around for some thing that should be simple. :)

Postby lighttch » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Following a Thread in the Mediamaster forum, it would be nice to go to a hardware based serial, like a USB Dongle. This would make it convenient, as at times the shows are small enough to warrant just a laptop and not my multicore rack computer. Also if a computer should crash for some reason, it would be easy to use another computer for an emergency backup. having a dongle means the software could only be active on one computer at a time, while others could run in demo mode. Hope you might consider this for a future upgrade.

Andrew
lighttch
Advanced user

Postby Scott Dewar » Wed May 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I think Grand VJ is a definite improvement over VJ Midi. Hopefully Arkaos can make enhancements at a faster rate than in the past.

My interest in features, in order of priority (I believe the first 5 are critical):
1) Mixer Mode: Saving of the project file also saves the current set up of layers (and their cued contents) - i.e., "scene recall"
2) Freeframe support!!
3) Ability to change order of layers by drag&drop
4) Record Session to a file or a dvd or DV output
5) BPM Tap or BPM Detection
6) Position/Size: scaling more than 100%, up to 300% or so would be great
7) Preview out window needs to be filled more with content - lots of wasted space around the image in the window. Needs to reflect current aspect ratio.
Scott Dewar

Postby jcbklyny » Mon May 31, 2010 9:34 am

I have to agree with the "hardware dongle" idea.

I am currently using 2 of the 3 serials you get with the program - 1 for my main rack based system and 1 for my laptop as a backup should anything ever go wrong on site. This week I had a situation where the fan on my video card in the laptop died and fried the card - the excess heat also damaged the mainboard. So I ended up getting a new laptop. Problem is I cant use the last serial because I need it should anything ever happen to my main system. Which means now I'm stuck without a backup!!

If you were able to transfer a license to a flash drive that would solve a lot of problems and eliminate the need to give 3 serials with the program. Just pop the flash drive into any PC and you have a fully registered version of the software.

There are many computer based lighting programs that do this and adding it to GVJ shouldnt be that hard to do.

Thanks
John
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby DWK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:06 am

I actually quite like the three serials system you have in place currently. I can't stand dongles as they tend to get swiped during shows, they clog up USB ports, they get knocked out of laptops and they're just another unnecessary thing that can go wrong during a show.

The only problem at the moment, and it is a massive one, is that you can't email Arkaos to get a serial reset if one of your computers is stollen or decides to blow up. Pretty much all other software that runs this kind of copy protection system (Ableton, Eyecon, etc) allows for serial resets/replacements if something goes wrong.
David Kirkpatrick
davidk.com.au
DWK
Normal user

Postby jcbklyny » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 pm

The only problem at the moment, and it is a massive one, is that you can't email Arkaos to get a serial reset if one of your computers is stollen or decides to blow up.

That's because they state that you can only install the product on 1 computer, and the 2 extra serials are your reset serials. To quote the arkaos electronic license...

Second computer: The ArKaos software license is intended for registering the software on one main computer. Installing ArKaos software on multiple computers require multiple licenses. The additional serials that ArKaos provides are meant to be used in case of hardware modifications or upgrades leading to a Machine ID code change on the main computer. The license does not permit the serials to be used to activate the software on multiple machines. Doing so is working against ArKaos intent of servicing its customers in case of a hardware failure or replacement, whilst restricting non-permitted use of the software.
Using the additional serials to install ArKaos on multiple computers will also increase the risk of running out of serials for the main computer, and having to order a new license to be able to generate new serials and continue to use the software.

Which means you can't have a backup solution (or like in my case, if your backup solution fails - you lose one of your precious serials). The problem I have with the current system is should something happen to your "Main System" on the job site, your screwed! You MUST have an internet connection available at all times in order to log on and request a new serial for a changed machine ID. This isn't always possible.

Which is why I suggested a hardware solution. If you only have 2 USB slots, don't buy a MACBOOK haha (just kidding)

Regardless of what is done, I think we need a better solution then the current 3 serial limit.

And if it helps any, having an (optional) hardware/flash doggle solution at an additional cost is something I'd be willing to BUY.

- John
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby DWK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:06 pm

That's because they state that you can only install the product on 1 computer, and the 2 extra serials are your reset serials. To quote the arkaos electronic license...

I understand this. I don't agree with it though. Fair enough that Arkaos only wants you to run GrandVJ on one computer at a time but why use such a heavy-handed approach?

I like GrandVJ a lot but the licensing system is too harsh. Replacing a component in your computer should not use up an activation, nor should having a computer stolen or break down. You aren't running the software on more than one computer in this situation so why are you being punished? You should, at the very least, be able to log on to your account on the Arkaos website, de-register one activation and get one of your three activations back.

Heh. I'm not anti-dongle because of the strange decision to limit USB ports on Macbooks. I personally always buy PCs anyway. I just don't like having my 'program' dangling from my computer. I've seen dongles swiped or misplaced far too many times. Then you don't just have to run around looking for a cafe with wifi in the middle of a random city at 1am, you have to find a music store stocking audiovisual gear in the middle of a random city at 1am.

I'm a huge fan of companies like Cockos (Reaper) who have realised that no matter what weird and wonderful copy protection a company implements in their software, they only end up punishing legitimate owners. They value the positive benefits of making their customers happy over the negatives of having their product pirated.
David Kirkpatrick
davidk.com.au
DWK
Normal user

Postby Moabyte » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Regarding serials, I've learned the unique number is attached to your Network MAC address. On my PC desktop I have installed a PCI Ethernet card and disabled the internal network. This lets me move my registration to any PC that I can put the PCI NIC in, basically the card is a giant dongle now. Not sure if this works on Mac, but I would think removing the built in Ethernet kexts and using a NIC that works in mac may do the same thing.

I like the idea of having a USB stick to transfer the license to. I also like the way AVJ let you put in your SN for a 60 day temp license. I used that trick a few times when I could not use my own computer. I think 2 of those places purchased AVJ and use it to this day.

I think a better solution would be to just charge 100 to 150 for add on licenses.

This is defiantly a topic to be talking about, I hope Arkaos Team are reading. I know I'll need a few more registered machines in the future and
Moabyte
Confirmed user

Postby paul-h » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:51 pm

This seems to be a quite hot topic.. I've yust had a heavy rant with Arkaos just about GVJ license system.
I earn Arkaos VJ since 2003 and obvioussly the three keys run out time ago, so I was used to get them regenerated sending a request via mail. It was a nice relationship and I was very happy of it.
But with GVJ things don't seem so smooth.
From my point of view a license should cover the entire lifetime of the application, OR be time limited (10 serials for a one-day giant session and so on) but the "three-shot" policy is simply demential and unfair towards us.
How Arkaos is willing to solve the issue is their business but if they want to preserve their customer base they should think fast.
By the way: I reformatted my pc and GVJ requested a new serial. I didn't change the network adapter so or my mac address changed or GVJ machine ID fishes data somewhere else.
My proposals?
TWO usb dongles and the possibility to purchase additional time limited serials on the fly.
And as an old time Arkaos VJ user I would like it to be unlocked to who purchased it, Arkaos VJ is discontinued but has still some features that makes it sit happily side by side with GVJ!
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby jcbklyny » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Well I know the staff is busy with Media Master updates at the moment, but I would love to hear one of the mods chime in here - one way or another.

- John
Last edited by jcbklyny on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby apache » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:53 pm

hello , im thinking of selling my old macbookpro , and geting a newone ... is thats means a need to buy a new serialkey for grandvj ??? ouch ... and the guy that will buy my old mbp will have a Free grandvj serial ? i want to desactivate my serial on the old mbp and use it on the new one.

http://support.arkaos.net/index.php/kb/article/000082 <----- this say NO !

i will certainly buy a new serial ... every year i try to upgrade my vj mpb to a new one ... and thats means a new serial every year ... i have already used my 3 grandvj serial ...my new mpb will only work with the so dead arkaos 3.6.5...
arkaos user since 21/04/2006 and grand vj user since 26/08/2008 ...
apache
Normal user

Postby jcbklyny » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am

??? ouch ... and the guy that will buy my old mbp will have a Free grandvj serial ?

I never thought about that - But I believe the way it works, he would and wouldn't. If he downloads GrandVJ he will be assigned same machine ID, but he would still have to log in and get the serial or an activation code. Without either one of those, he wouldn't be able to register a full version. BUT, he WOULD be able to use the serial you were assigned if he got a hold of it somehow. He could always write Arkaos support sending the machine id and your name and info posing as you and MAY be able to pull it off.

If you buy a new macbook you wouldn't have to buy a new serial just yet, right now you get 3 serials with 1 purchase. You can only use the serials on 1 computer. The arkaos license says you would lose the serial you already have registered and would be down to 2. If you log into the main Arkaos site you can go to your purchases and generate up to 2 new serials. After that, you have to buy a new version.

I don't think the way it works now is very fair. In your case for example I dont think you should lose a serial. Your still using it on 1 computer - your just upgrading. An upgrade shouldn't cost you a serial.

I'm curious, does Media Master work this way too? Because I would NEVER pay $2300 bucks to be stuck in this serial nightmare.

- John
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby apache » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:47 pm

hi ,
just for a test , i have uninstalled grandvj , then reinstall it , and it works without any need of serial or registration .
so if i sell my mbp , the guy who will buy it , if he download the demo and install it , will get a fully functional grandvj version with a registered serial.
do i need to change some internal component on my mpb b4 selling it ? to change the machine ID ? weird .
apache
Normal user

Postby jcbklyny » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 am

You need to format the drive and re-install the OS before selling.

just like Windows, when you uninstall a program on MAC OS, it's not really all gone. Most of the time registration info is saved. There are ways you can remove everything, but it's faster to just re-install if your selling.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby apache » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:35 pm

ty, thats good to know.
do the mpb ID change when i reinstall the os ?
apache
Normal user

Postby VJKatza » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 pm

* 16 BANKS is not enough for me..
* better & more adjustable audio aware
* multiple video out (at least two)
* scaling for more then 100%
* more then 4 point keystone (a permanent keystone per layer could be fantastic for projection mapping) [while @ mixer mode]
* option to choose the generated thumbnail (which sometime is black)
* freeframe support
* option for a fade out as leaving key (like using synth mode inside mixer mode)
* Option to put a seperate mask on each layer
* SAVING MIDI-KEYBOARD BANK POSITION
* KEEP ON THE GOOD WORK!
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby JJJ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 am

I know it has been said b4 but I'll say it again.

AUTOMATION like they had in ArKaos VJ - audio or midi driving controllers. Simple and slick.

Hoping hoping hoping.

JJJ
JJJ
JJJ
Expert user

Postby absentcinema » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:15 pm

+1 for bank renaming
+1 for numerical input in addition to the faders

Out of the box midi and feedback templates for the Novation Launchpad & Noctrun would also be nice.
absentcinema
Normal user

Postby VJKatza » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 am

Please support transparent flash files....
This can open lotsa possibilities.
(where luma can't be used)
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby pointless dav » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

export to quicktime!
pointless dav
Normal user

PreviousNext

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing