realtime mask editing, videomapper workflow?

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, crustea, pierre, polanri

realtime mask editing, videomapper workflow?

Postby paul-h » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi,
I'm digging in GVJ2.0, planning an XT upgrade shortly, but I got nearly stuck on building "holes" in the projection.
I extensively use masks to hide windows or other scenery features, In my next gig I'll be mapping ..a tree trunk, so I need a good flexibility in on-field masking.
As the videomapper can only import fixed bitmap masks, I work-around assigning to each mask a separate surface, grouping them together and assigning them to the top layer.
But.. in this way I lose a layer and have to pay attention not to change the "mask" layer's opacity.
and many surfaces are just wasted in masking.
Do you think there is a better workflow?
Perhaps something related to "copy from output or from sampling " in the mapper? There is no documentation to look at :-(

thanks!
paul-h
Advanced user

Re: realtime mask editing, videomapper workflow?

Postby paul-h » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 pm

no replies at all?
me sad :-(
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby Quentin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 pm

What about that solution :

Create empty grid surfaces, and assign them a black bitmap as mask in the Video Mapper. Click on "black" in the right inspector to fill the masked part with black.

Another solution would be to create a mask from a picture of the tree (with photoshop or gimp or whatever..) and import it in the video mapper. The advantage is that you only need one surface. However it require to take a picture from the exact point of view of the projector, and adjust the resulting mask in the video mapper.
Quentin
Normal user

Postby paul-h » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:06 pm

@Quentin, actually the method I described is a variation of your "option a" although for the tree I worked with a photo and then tweaked the gridpoints a little.
The problem with the holes arises when you need several non adjacent masks, think about a building facade with.. twenty windows to mask out. Working with a photo does not give you enough control on each vertex of each window, so you need to draw live 20 rectangles, you then end with 20 surfaces to group and assign to the top layer that "blocks" the underlying visuals. I think I can get used to it but i feel there must be a more easy way :roll:
paul-h
Advanced user

Postby vj_stello » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Quentin,

1) I'm not be able to do masking. I created a suface and enabled black mask but the surface is still considered as mapping surface.
By the way, is there a way to control curved with tangents ?

2) I tried also bitmap masking for another surface but I don't know how to prepare the bitmap. It must be the same ratio as the source surface ? or the fullscreen resolution ? (which is 3840x1024).

3)I also tried to put a bitmap background image but nothing changed, still black.
vj_stello

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing