GrandVJ 2 upgrade information

Share your thoughts / tips / comments / ideas about ArKaos GrandVJ.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, crustea, pierre, polanri

GrandVJ 2 upgrade information

Postby polanri » Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm

As most of you know, we have been working on GrandVJ 2 these last few months and we are approaching the release. So here’s a little recap so that you know where we’re going to.

Two versions of GrandVJ:
Next to GrandVJ, we will introduce GrandVJ XT that will have the Video Mapper support:

GrandVJ 2 : (299 eur / without Video Mapper)
We have decided to offer free upgrade from GrandVJ 1.x to GrandVJ 2 to all users so everyone can benefit from the much requested new software activation system (see further below).

GrandVJ XT : (649 eur / with the Video Mapper)
For those who bought (or upgraded to) GrandVJ 2 and later want to do Video Mapping, don’t worry, you won’t have to buy a full GrandVJ XT license: you will just have to upgrade for the difference (349 eur).

For our GrandVJ 1 users that would like to use the Video Mapper immediately when released, we will have a one step upgrade to GrandVJ XT with a -10% as loyalty offer during the first month after the release.

Note: If you were considering purchasing GrandVJ but were waiting for the release of version 2, you shouldn’t. You can buy GrandVJ 1 now and benefit from the above upgrades when we release version 2.

Main new features in GrandVJ 2

New software activation system:
We have been listening to your feedback. We have completely reworked the software activation system to make it much more straightforward, flexible and user friendly (no more lengthy codes to copy/paste). Users will now be able to activate and use GrandVJ 2 on up to two computers at the same time with one license (i.e. main computer and backup), instead of one with the current license agreement. The activation/deactivation process requires that you connect your computer to the Internet.

New interface:
We are developing a new interface to make the software even more user friendly and straightforward, while integrating the new functionalities into it.

Here’s a tease, just to keep you waiting (colors and some features may be subject to change, but you get the idea..):

Cells Matrix:
Cells matrix now have an individual edit button which allows to give each cell unique properties.

The Mixer
It is shown here with multiple output groups for the Video Mapper: Layers can be sent to different output groups that you can define within the Video Mapper. Each group allows a separate transition within it. You can also set individual layers to keep various properties - such as mixing or position - as you play different visuals.

And also:
    New effects
    New transitions
    Performance improvements
    Video Mapper (in GrandVJ XT)

Release date?

We’ll have it ready after the summer and, depending on the development cycles, we will release a public beta during the summer.

In the meantime, if you need more information we’ll do our best to answer your questions on the support centre
polanri
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GrandVJ 2 upgrade information

Postby VJKatza » Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Finally some good news...
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby VJKatza » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

A few questions:
1. Is there an option for Master Mapping (Mapping the whole Composition without layer mapping)
2. Can the License use a Master MAC and a backup PC?
3. Most Powerfull laptops today got "Nvidia Optimus technology" (gpu switching) which I've heard cause some trouble with texture sharing between apps. Will the Video Mapper manage that?

10x!
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby runningm » Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 am

I can't wait for the new version. If it's not too late for feature requests:

1. Support for more video input devices. (SD/HD-SDI, HDMI, AJA, Black Magic, MOTU, USB, etc) FireWire does not cut it any more.
2. The ability to find system hungry resources (clips, effects, etc.) and kill them independently - instead of killing the entire show.
3. The Ability to check licenses in/out so that upgrading to a new computer does not make you loose your limited licenses. Can still only have one or two licensees, but have the ability to turn off the old one so that the new computer will work.
4. The ability to take advantage of SSD caching to handle less compressed clips. Like Fusion I/O.
5. and iPad/Android remote app?
runningm

Postby pierre » Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 pm

1. Is there an option for Master Mapping (Mapping the whole Composition without layer mapping)

Each added new "output" element cuts the mixer in several sub-mixers which result's sent to the selected set of surfaces defined in the VideoMapper.
Therefore, having a master mapping is just about adding a single "output" element on top of the eight layers.

2. Can the License use a Master MAC and a backup PC?

Yes it can.

3. Most Powerfull laptops today got "Nvidia Optimus technology" (gpu switching) which I've heard cause some trouble with texture sharing between apps. Will the Video Mapper manage that?

The texture-sharing technology is only used when editing the mapping since VideoMapper is a separate application, in order to get a live-preview from GrandVJ.
Once the mapping's done, you can close VideoMapper and GrandVJ will take over the fullscreen(s) display, getting rid of memory consuming texture-sharing.
The point here is that since texture-sharing isn't used in live condition, there's no risk for problems that would happen randomly during the show.
Since Optimus technology is similar to Apple's GPU-switching available on MacBook Pro, it shouldn't be a problem theoretically.
That been said, we didn't have the opportunity to test such an hardware ourselves so far, and we'd be glad to have some feedback regarding that aspect. You can already give it a try by downloading MediaMaster and try the Pro license that gives you access to the VideoMapper. Your feedback is more than welcome.
pierre

Postby VJKatza » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 pm

10x pierre, I will test the mediamaster demo.
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby VJKatza » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Hello Pierre,
I downloaded and tried running MediaMaster 3.1.1 I used Fixture mode with videomapper.
Looking at the Nvidia Status Util I can see that both MediaMaster & VideoMapper are running over the Dedicated Gpu which is fantastic.
although, Closing the Video Mapper after finishing mapping disables the full screen even if I export mapping and import again,
Live output only when VideoMapper app is open.
I have been experiencing some crashes after duplicating a large amount of surfaces, I mean more then 80 surfaces gave me some crashes but I will dig deeper to give a more accurate answer.

I use an Origin Notbook with Nvidia 680m + Intel HD4000 (Intel 3820QM CPU)
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby pierre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:20 am

Closing the Video Mapper after finishing mapping disables the full screen even if I export mapping and import again,
Live output only when VideoMapper app is open.

Once VideoMapper's closed, you can activate the fullscreen in MediaMaster, by going in Display --> Toggle Fullscreen - This is something we'll automate in a further version, and that's already part of GrandVJ 2 features.

Could you test that and let us know?

I have been experiencing some crashes after duplicating a large amount of surfaces, I mean more then 80 surfaces gave me some crashes but I will dig deeper to give a more accurate answer.

We've fixed several issues regarding that, and a new VideoMapper version we'll be distributing together with GrandVJ & MediaMaster next versions.
pierre

Postby VJKatza » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 am

Once VideoMapper's closed, you can activate the fullscreen in MediaMaster, by going in Display --> Toggle Fullscreen - This is something we'll automate in a further version, and that's already part of GrandVJ 2 features.

Could you test that and let us know?

Well I already tried this, when I activate the ful screen it looks like the screen refreshs I can see the fullscreen (and the mapping) output over the second monitor for about a second then it goes black again. tring deactivating/activating again doesn't make any difference.
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby sonmor47 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:08 pm

hello, brings edge and blending to work with several projectors?
sonmor47

Postby VJKatza » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 pm

sonmor47 wrote:hello, brings edge and blending to work with several projectors?

Edge Blending is already implented...
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby Yoogie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Do you have any further information when we can expect the new version to be out?
Yoogie

Postby groovindj » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Yoogie wrote:Do you have any further information when we can expect the new version to be out?

There is a video on YouTube featuring Pierre saying that it will be released in June....2012!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRo8vUFPaY

Don't hold your breath.
groovindj

Postby VJKatza » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am

groovindj wrote:
Yoogie wrote:Do you have any further information when we can expect the new version to be out?

There is a video on YouTube featuring Pierre saying that it will be released in June....2012!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRo8vUFPaY

Don't hold your breath.

:arkaos:
"We’ll have it ready after the summer and, depending on the development cycles, we will release a public beta during the "summer.
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby groovindj » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes I know, "after the summer".........but which summer? 2013? 2014?

In 2012 they were saying June (2012). Now - one whole year later - there's still no release, or even a beta.

Obviously back in 2012 the software was good enough to have it running on displays at trade shows. We can see that in the video I mentioned, and in others (for example the ADJ stand was also showing the software) so why are we still waiting?
groovindj

Postby VJKatza » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm

groovindj wrote:Yes I know, "after the summer".........but which summer? 2013? 2014?

In 2012 they were saying June (2012). Now - one whole year later - there's still no release, or even a beta.

Obviously back in 2012 the software was good enough to have it running on displays at trade shows. We can see that in the video I mentioned, and in others (for example the ADJ stand was also showing the software) so why are we still waiting?

What you see in ADJ is Grand VJ 1.5 with video mapper extension...
version 2.0 will look different.
VJKatza
Normal user

Postby groovindj » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:42 pm

VJKatza wrote:What you see in ADJ is Grand VJ 1.5 with video mapper extension

...and yet the poster on the stand (in briansredd's video) clearly says version 2.0.
groovindj

Postby Quentin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

There is a long way between a development version (that can be eventually used in a trade show) and a final, stable, polished release. Sorry for that delay. The good news is : the first beta version is still planed this summer. The final version should be released in September. 8)
Quentin
Normal user

Postby frankvw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 am

Hi,
have integrate somthing for the IP camera?
Other have you a solution for use it?
I search a solution for have the video in Arkaos.

Thanks you for your feedback
frankvw

Postby generalbyte » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:36 am

Hi,

is little bit Off Topic but,

if you are on Mac and you IP Cam Supports Video Stream, can you Simple create a Patch with Quartz Composer and intergrate it as Video Source.

MfG

GB
generalbyte

Postby frankvw » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi,
Thanks you for your answer.
No I works with Windows PC, have you some solution for the IP Camera?

Thanks you for your answer

Frank
frankvw

Postby generalbyte » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 am

Hi,

Maybe can the work, it simulate local device:
https://github.com/sarxos/webcam-capture

MfG

GB
generalbyte

Postby JJJ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:30 am

I upgraded to the Grand VJ 2 Beta.

Why does it say it will expire in 92 days - its a free upgrade n'est pas?

JJJ
JJJ
JJJ
Expert user

Postby groovindj » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

JJJ wrote:Why does it say it will expire in 92 days

Because it's a beta. Hopefully there'll be another build before the expiry date.
groovindj

Return to GrandVJ - Eight channels VJ software for real time HD video mixing