DMX Sizing Problem

What kind of DMX devices do you use? How do you use them? Have a problem configuring it with MediaMaster? Have a tip to share on how to use it?
ALL about lighting desks, controllers, adapters, LED fixtures etc.. and ArKaos goes here!

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, pierre, polanri

DMX Sizing Problem

Postby stevefromNewcastle » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 pm

I have been testing Arkaos DMX for use with Triplehead2go in both midi and dmx settings. I have noticed that when using DMX there seems to be no way to lock the clips to there original size. This means when you are using DMX you get a considerable slow down when compared to the same setup using midi.
I was wondering if there was an effective way to set the position and size of all clips in a fixture and keeping it locked down. I have tried the "all" setting but this does not hold its settings.

Cheers
Steve Holmes
Senior Technician The Sage Gateshead.
stevefromNewcastle

Postby matthieu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:35 am

I don't understand the question. First the position / size / rotation settings done from DMX should have no impact on performances.
By "slow down" do you mean the movie plays slower ? In this case you should better check the "movie speed" channel of the fixture. It should be at value 64 (/255) or 25% to get the movie played at original speed.

What lighting desk are you using ?
matthieu
Expert user

Postby stevefromNewcastle » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:32 pm

What I have noticed that when I resize a fixture using DMX there is a performace impact (slower frame rates). This does not occure in midi mode where I can set video files to orginal size and the postion them on screen (left, right, centre).

Basical the arbitary size and postion used by DMX results in slower frame rates.
Steve
stevefromNewcastle

Postby matthieu » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:11 pm

When you are using "Original Size" the copy of the picture on the main output is very fast since it doesn't need scaling but just a pixel copy. When you scale using DMX, if you find the right values to get the original size it will also be fast.

Generally on an average computer scaling a visual should not have a visible impact on the framerate (it is optimized for Pethium 3 MMX, Pethium 4 SSE2 and G4 Altivec).
And it should not have any impact at all if you have a graphic card that supports ArKaos HW engine (since ArKaos VJ 3.5.1)

What's your config and what version are you using ?
matthieu
Expert user

Postby stevefromNewcastle » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:24 am

I realise this should not really be an issue but I have documented it using your own frame rate readings, to allow me to check any changes I make, and it does make a difference.
I am pushing this system very hard, 3x 640x480 plus 1x 1920x480. Under midi this system runs considerably quicker when it comes to having files playing side by side.

The config I have is
Apple G5 DP2Ghz, 2.5Gb Ram, Ati X800 various drives.

Steve
stevefromNewcastle

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for Show/Lighting