DMX from software?

What kind of DMX devices do you use? How do you use them? Have a problem configuring it with MediaMaster? Have a tip to share on how to use it?
ALL about lighting desks, controllers, adapters, LED fixtures etc.. and ArKaos goes here!

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, pierre, polanri

DMX from software?

Postby blackcoat » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:27 am

Hi,

I have had a look at the software and I am not sure it will do what I need.
Will I be able to control (via DMX) Arkaos through a software dmx controller (like freestyler?).

Thanks
blackcoat

Postby FraKtus » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:10 am

It's very easy to use a sotware DMX console, by example the software of Chamsys is free and very well integrated with ArKaos. It's also using ArtNet, so you don't need an interface.

It's even possible to use the Chamsys sotware console on the same machine than the one that is running ArKaos VJ DMX.

We did test many other configurations such as the ETC congo software, Light Jockey (but Light Jockey needs it's hadware interface).
FraKtus

Postby dag55 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:17 pm

I have tried it with MagicQ and Arkaos on the same machine withtout success. What to think of?
//Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby FraKtus » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:11 am

Be sure to have your tcip/ip adress on the ArtNet range 2.x.x.x

I will ask to matthieu to post more on this.

We are doing this very often here at ArKaos to test the DMX in ArtNet with ArKaos.
FraKtus

Postby matthieu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:21 am

There is a common problem: when no network cable is connected to the computer ethernet adapter, windows disables networking, even the local networking doesn't work.

If that's not your problem, you can send a mail to support[at]arkaos[dot]net.
matthieu
Expert user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 pm

Yes!
I actually found the fault my self and got it to work last night :) What I do not get to work, is thumbnails and live prewiev...
/Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby matthieu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:03 pm

You have to setup teh media server. Have a look at this screenshot:

Go in Setup / View Setup / View Media. There you have to associate the heads of the media server to the media server itslef. The media server in MagicQ is identified by its IP address. You also have to select the Type MSEX. This is the open protocol we designed with chamsys Cpature and ETC for the integration.
The Live Preview should be "Yes" if you want to see the output of ArKaos in MagicQ. "Autothumbs" should be off, it is better to use the "Refresh Thumbnails" button in Media Servers view, to avoid slowing ArKaos down during a prestation.
matthieu
Expert user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks for the tips and really prompt answer :D ! Everything is working now on my lappy ( Arkaos and MagicQ running while I write this :P )One strange thing worth to mention though, is that the Arkaos gets a different IP adress than the MQ, in my case 127.0.0.1 and MQ 2.0.0.1 . This IP adress shows up on the first playback in MQ in the demo show. Rock'n roll :!: There's going to be a order on some licensen soon 8) ...
//Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby matthieu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm

Nice to know you got it running.

127.0.0.1 is the local feedback address. It is a standard for any system (windows, Mac OS, unix...)
matthieu
Expert user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm

Strange, after restart I lost thumbnails and prewiev again :( Think I tried "everything", but only a little flicker in the prewiev window :?
//Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby matthieu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 pm

Is ArtNet connection working ?
matthieu
Expert user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Yes, I can control Arkaos and program with MQ, but no prewiev or thumbnails as before.
Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm

:? Seems like MQ donot recieve anything from Arkaos ( other way works though), the IP displayed on the first playback have disappeared. Is there any sort of reset or cache file to e emptied?
//Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby dag55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Got it to work again. :? something with IP adresses, not really shure, but now it works just fine and keeps setting and don't care about the wireless.
//Dagge
dag55
Normal user

Postby jfitzpat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:55 am

For what it is worth, our software based controller will connect to ArKaos VJ DMX. Demo to Demo, no hardware required. We include fixture templates for both 'tiny' and 'full' fixture templates in the standard setup.

I put step by step instructions together for a user awhile back, which can be downloaded here.

It will run on the same machine or network linked machines. If no network connection is present it will automatically ask you if you want to connect locally. There is no need to mess with any IP address settings.

Without one of our interfaces, you can't output DMX or accept SMPTE time code, but you could still experiment with preprogramming a whole show to music. This little helper app will lock a Windows Media Player Playlist to the software.

One advantage our system has over most other controllers is data update rate. Even when running a full 16 universes (8192 channels) of DMX output, it is about 50% faster than a Hog console (which, in turn, is quite a bit faster than most software based offerings). This doesn't really matter much with many lighting fixtures, but you definately can see a difference when you are using movement generation (what we call effects) to fly an image around a video layer - especially at higher resolutions. Our shape morphing between movement effects is also nice for easily making multiple images seem to fly at random, drop into a syncronized pattern, merge to one, etc.

If you want to get an idea what it will be like to control lights as well you could try a visualizer package. We can be used with many, but the Capture demo accepts connections from external controllers in Demo mode. Demo mode has a 90 minute session timeout and no save, but we include a show file that is already patched and has a few sample cues for the fairly elaborate 'awards show' sample included with the Capture download. A quick tutorial on getting the programs connected can be found here (the directions say Capture 3.0, but you can use Capture 2005).

Since we support the CITP protocol for Capture, we plan on supporting an MPEX thumbnail browser, etc. in our next release.

ArKaos VJ DMX also works quite well with PCDJ DMX, which licenses our DMX engine. However, it has no 'ArKaos' specific menu selection. You have to use generic ArtNet output - which is not available in PCDJ DMX's demo mode.

Hope that helps.
-jjf
jfitzpat
Normal user

Virtual Net connection driver from Microsoft.

Postby Masterpeace » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 am

Take a look here if your want to solve those kind of net connection problems running artnet in the same machine.

http://www.flyingpig.com/support/Instal ... Hog3PC.pdf

(change the example ip by a valid Artnet IP address... 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013

Best regards.
Masterpeace

Postby dag55 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Super :D !!! My last issue with interfacing MagicQ and Arkaos on the same machine is solved :!: Thanks! Been searching for this, can't understand how I can have missed it :P
//Dagge
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

yes, it works...

Postby Masterpeace » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Hello:

I also can not believe this "trick" is not popular and extended, I dont understand why this is not known by all the artnet users...

When I discover this I though that I was the last in the earth to know it and like it was a hide secret or something.

It was easy, it was included in Windows and nobody tell us...

Cheers.
Masterpeace

Postby dag55 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:32 pm

Note, that the latest beta of MagicQ 1.3.2.0 have the option in settings to "Send to application on this PC" Works fine :)
VJdag55
Mind Remapping Visuals
dag55
Normal user

Postby dlights » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:40 pm

One thing that will cause problems I found out sinc I am in the US... If you use MagicQ and it is set to US mode, it WILL NOT give you thumbs and such... I asked the Chamsys folks why this was and noone could actually answer. I set it over to UK and all was well. Do the Brits really hate us THAT much still? :D Just kidding. I will be buying a copy of Arkaos VERY soon and I cannot wait to use it.

'D'
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' --Ghandi
dlights
Normal user

Postby jrsReign » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:22 pm

If you wish to get an abstraction what it will be like to ascendancy lights as able-bodied you could try a visualizer package. We can be acclimated with many, but the Capture audience accepts access from alien controllers in Audience mode. Audience approach has a 90 minute affair abeyance and no save, but we cover a appearance book that is already patched and has a few sample cues for the adequately busy 'awards show' sample included with the Capture download. A quick tutorial on accepting the programs affiliated can be begin actuality (the admonition say Capture 3.0, but you can use Capture 2005).

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for Show/Lighting