Which VGA / dvi capture device do you use?

What kind of DMX devices do you use? How do you use them? Have a problem configuring it with MediaMaster? Have a tip to share on how to use it?
ALL about lighting desks, controllers, adapters, LED fixtures etc.. and ArKaos goes here!

Moderators: Jdoniaute, Quentin, pierre, polanri

Which VGA / dvi capture device do you use?

Postby Manuel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 pm

I have been using the epiphan VGA2usb lr but recently it started crashing. What type of extranal VGA capture devices do you use?

I've noticed the Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0 does anybody have any experience with this?

Hope you can help,

Manuel
Manuel
Advanced user

Re: Which VGA / dvi capture device do you use?

Postby Manuel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 pm

What, over 200 views and no replies!? :shock:
Manuel
Advanced user

Re: Which VGA / dvi capture device do you use?

Postby PhasedMedia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 am

Hi Manuel,
Blackmagic-design's USB3 and Thunderbolt external capture cards work well for me as an additional input or for laptops. Reliable hardware with frequent firmware/software improvements.
They don't make any VGA input cards though.
The intensity shuttle usb3 device is inexpensive but excellent if you can make do with HDMI/analog inputs. If you have budget then I recommend getting one with SDI as well, as this is becoming more common.

Tip for using HDMI into capture cards from computer source;
HDCP is always enabled on Mac comuters, as your'e plugged in to a capture card (exactly what HD Copyright Protection is meant to stop) you may lose image. There is hardware that be added to get around this (EDID parrot/ upstream switcher or scaler/ etc.). Windows or linux systems will just detect it as an available monitor.
Will
PhasedMedia
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Return to Hardware - General discussion about hardware for Show/Lighting