Windows VISTA - anyone had any issues? Is it OK with Arkaos?

Please check the FAQ - Knowledgebase first
This forum is not the place to request for urgent assistance

If you have an urgent support request or have a problem concerning registration, serial numbers, orders, personal info etc.. you must go there to post a trouble ticket instead of using this forum.

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Windows VISTA - anyone had any issues? Is it OK with Arkaos?

Postby VJ scobot » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:54 am

Hello,

Thinking (dreaming) of getting a new laptop. They seem to all come with Windows VISTA now (HP, DELL etc) and just wondering if it (VISTA) is working ok with Arkaos - or should I try to get one with Windows XP?

Thanks!
VJ scobot

Postby FraKtus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:12 am

Windows Vista is fine for ArKaos VJ. We have several machines in our office that run it for test purpose.

You can go and get a new machine, if it has Vista installed it's no problems.
FraKtus

Postby GrinProductions » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:04 pm

FraKtus wrote:Windows Vista is fine for ArKaos VJ. We have several machines in our office that run it for test purpose.

You can go and get a new machine, if it has Vista installed it's no problems.

I just got a new laptop which is AMD dual core, 1 gig of ram and has a NVIDIA graphics card and when running Arkoas 3.0 i randomly get a bluescreen of death!! i took this laptop back because i thought it was faulty and now have had a few with this one too! I was thinking about just putting XP back on it, but as you say that it should work for vista.... what do u think im doing wrong??
GrinProductions

Postby FraKtus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:45 pm

You should get the latest version to run on Vista specially if you use harware acceleration. Currently we are at 3.6.1 and it has been tested and used under Vista.
FraKtus

Postby vostek » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:52 pm

I have actually been having some serious Arkaos Vista issues. It was working well for awhile, but some time in between then and yesterday, something went wrong. Now my clips are playing back corrupted, strange artifacts, and I when i trigger a clip that isn't horribly corrupted, it will play frames of other clips randomly. Its choppy too, can't get a solid frame rate anymore. I tried updated my video drivers to the brand new nvidia release, i tried installing the new version of Arkaos (3.6.1), i tried reloading my clips, I tried turning off HW mode, tried turning off the Aero interface,all to no avail. Luckily, I still have an XP partition which i checked to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my video clips. Everything still works fine in XP.

Any advice?
vostek
Confirmed user

Postby FraKtus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 pm

If everything was fine for some time with ArKaos and then your file did corrupt it's more connected to the disk itself and the drivers than ArKaos.

Did you install new utilities lately? Resident applications can use a lot of cpu and degrade real-time performances.
FraKtus

Postby crustea » Sun May 06, 2007 1:42 pm

I had a go with Arkaos on a new laptop with Vista, it worked fine but it was a bit slow (actually, everything was slow on Vista, photoshop, AE slower than a Pentium 1 :) ).

Just launching Vista took 700Mo of Ram without doing anything else.. I removed Vista and installed XP, and everything was incredibly fast, the new GPU effects on Arkaos are also superfast..

My advice is to get rid of Vista as soon as you can, because it's slowing down all your apps, and with vista you feel being in 1992 again :)
Image Image
crustea
Expert user

Postby FraKtus » Sun May 06, 2007 2:42 pm

crustea wrote:I had a go with Arkaos on a new laptop with Vista, it worked fine but it was a bit slow (actually, everything was slow on Vista, photoshop, AE slower than a Pentium 1 :) ).

Of course, we do our best to use whatever the operating system leave for the applications :-)

Vista is more heavy than XP, so you choose!
FraKtus

Postby lightpainter » Wed May 16, 2007 12:41 pm

Hello,
Don't run ARkoas on a vista 64 bit.
Quicktime doesn't work fine on the 64 bits version of vista.
Some mov files run exellent and others don't.
lightpainter

3.6.1 on vista...

Postby samlight » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:46 pm

I just built a new PC with Vista, running 3.6.1FC2.
Fancy Nvidia top of the range card, running 3072x768 into a Matrox Triple Head to go into 3x projectors.
Had many probs/blue screens of death trying to run the full screen from the secondary monitor. Swapped it round and it appears to work... still have the odd blue screen however.
The Avolites Avotalk active fixture doesn't work in Vista,. Avo have fixed their end apparently but will need a patch from Arkaos... anyone?

Love the new per layer Keystone... life saver.

Oh, and Mov files are playing back with flickers... not sure why, AVI's play fine.

Kinda wishing I had stuck with XP, hoping the Vista issues are sorted shortly, really need that active fixture working!

Sam Hopkins
Lightstudio

Head of Lighting
London Astoria
samlight

Postby FraKtus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:56 am

Regarding the Avolite support, there is an issue that has been fixed and you should contact support at arkaos.net so that we can tell you what versions you need to run to have it working fine.

Regarding Vista, it's important to have all drivers up to date to get it working fine.
FraKtus

Postby jcbklyny » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 pm

I've been having problem with NUVJ and Vista 32-bit so I tried Arkaos VJ and get the same result.

Everything works great... EXCEPT FOR MOV FILES. Videos in MOV Quicktime format have a nasty delay when starting the clip. So the image fades in, freezes for a split second and then starts playing. If you keep trying to trigger the clip it wont play instantly like every other video file type there is.

There is no fix yet that I know of.

I've tried this on 4 different machines all running vista 32-bit with valid signed drivers. Everything works great, except for Quicktime MOV's. Problem is Arkaos and NUVJ only play audio from MOV's.... which sucks.
jcbklyny
Expert user

Postby matthieu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 am

This is not a problem specific to Vista. This problem happens with QuickTime files that have a sound track and from QuickTime player 7. With QuickTime version 6.5 it works much better.

We try to do our best to make the things better. There is a little thing we can do. But the result is still much better with QuickTime 6.5.
matthieu
Expert user

Postby jcbklyny » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 am

I take back what I said. Matthieu is correct.

Arkaos runs exactly the same on both XP and Vista. In fact I think everything runs better in Vista. The only downside to Arkaos software and any Windows OS is If you need sound - you MUST use Quicktime 6.5x because Apple doesnt like to optimize their software for Windows.

Yet they push back the release of Leopard just so that they can get Vista running right on their machines. lol

"Hi, I'm a PC... and I'm a PC too"
jcbklyny
Expert user

Vista and freeframe

Postby frankfenten » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:22 pm

hello,

anyone had any issues with the following:

- vista and arkaos in non-HW mode
- vista and arkaos with freeframe plugins
- Have the issues people have been talking about with quicktime been sorted with the latest release? v7.4

need to get a new laptop and, same as everyone else, can only seem to get vista.

Cheers,

Frank
Last edited by frankfenten on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankfenten

Postby FraKtus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Freeframe are running fine on Vista. The freeframe effects are very disconnected to the platform they are running because they are cross-platform and the host we have in ArKaos VJ is not requesting anything special to XP or Vista.

Most complains to Vista are more directed to QuickTime.

However with the 3.6.5 and the new mpg decoder you have a lot of choices because we use the windows libraries, QuickTime, FFMPEG, Flash ... to decode video!

We do a lot of testing on Vista, so should something broke we will do our best to get it to run.
FraKtus

Dual Monitor issue

Postby mrghosty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm trying to run from a laptop with an Nvidia quadro NVS 130 M card w/ vista. i've been have trouble getting arkaos to output full screen on the projector while keeping my laptop so i can see hte interface. everytime i connect the vga and extend my desktop to a second monitor, and choose full screen it pops up on my monitor rather than on the projector. Is there a trick to this i missed?
mrghosty

Postby alchemist » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Yes, we spotted that problem. This is in the list of the points we have to fix in a future release.
alchemist
Expert user

Postby mrghosty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:10 am

would downgrading to XP solve the problem ?
mrghosty

Re: Windows VISTA - anyone had any issues? Is it OK with Ark

Postby Jellen00 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 am

Arkaos runs exactly the same on both XP and Vista. In fact I think everything runs better in Vista.
Jellen00

Return to Support & Assistance