VJ and footage copyright

General discussion about anything !
What doesn't belong to any other forum goes here...

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

VJ and footage copyright

Postby Argonaut » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi all,
New to Arkaos forum, and very excited about new Vj possibilities.
My question is for everyone...
i was wondering about the legal stuff about using copyright video, or capture with unkown ownership.
I'm curious since I also play the drums, and I now that when you do a live perfomance, you can legally play any song without copyright worries, but another thing is to record it and sell it without authorization...
Any clues about it ?

Thanks in advance...
:wink:
Argonaut

Postby Bree » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:44 pm

hey man,
as far as im aware you can sample up to 10% without copyright infringments... but if yer clever with what you do with what you sample-you can get away with a lot more.
hope this helps
b
Bree

Postby Argonaut » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:10 pm

Bree wrote:hey man,
as far as im aware you can sample up to 10% without copyright infringments... but if yer clever with what you do with what you sample-you can get away with a lot more.
hope this helps
b

Well, for what I got, If it has copyright, you Can't. Period, unless you pay for it. Re-sampling is also copyright infringement, you're using someone's else work and modifying it...
Many people say, that's unnoticeable, but it's an infringement. You can get caught.

Regards
Argonaut

Re: VJ and footage copyright

Postby hrivis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:23 am

so if I buy original DVD and if I cut something for usage purpose its legal?
hrivis

Postby haraldwalker » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm

hrivis wrote:so if I buy original DVD and if I cut something for usage purpose its legal?

no. you bought the right to watch the DVD, not to re-use or publish/distribute anything of it.
haraldwalker

Postby PhasedMedia » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:06 am

Cultural sampling is an essential part of VJing, but if the content you are sampling from is still in copyright (less than 30years old, depending on the country you live in), you are risking being prosecuted and/or sued.
Ignore 'fair use' laws, look at it from a risk management perspective.
-If sample is editied or mixed in a way that it is unrecognizable from the original, you are unlikely to be reported.
-If you are just using short samples, and not playing from start to finish with audio, you are unlikely to be reported.
-If show is not recorded (and no-one posts video online), you are unlikely to be reported.
-If your doing visuals for a live TV concert, and use samples from a movie, you are going to be reported.
-If you are doing a movie-themed event, get organiser to sign. Pass the risk on.

What happens if you do get reported differs depending on local laws and whether the company or individual that owns rights cares if you use the content. Some companies actually encourage it, as its free advertising.
PhasedMedia
Expert user

Return to Anything else - General discussion