Render settings in After Effects

A general discussion about ArKaos and other software (i.e. other software that is part of your creation process like Blender, After effects, Artmatic,..)

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Render settings in After Effects

Postby Prophet » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm doing some material for a show where we use (or will use) VJ MIDI. But I'm having trouble figuring out good render-settings (I'm really lost when it comes to this). The output is 1024x768 pixels, and I need to use Alpha-channels. I'm currently using PNG-encoding, but playback is really sloppy like discussed here, but with the exception that playback in Quicktime is also really bad. Mostly in the beginning it playback just fine, but the further it goes, the more "choppy" it becomes, with frames that freezes, frames that are skipped, etc. Is it that PNG is hard for the computer? It's a fairly powerful one (2,6 GHz DualCore, 2 GB RAM, 256 MB Graphic (don't know brand) I think).
Any ideas? H.264 gives me errors when I try to render (probably since I don't have Quicktime Pro), so I haven't tried that. And I'd rather know that it will work before I buy it.
Prophet

Postby zaniz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Dear Prophet,

Did you try PICvideo mpeg encoder http://www.pegasusimaging.com/picvideomjpeg.htm. I use this codec for a long time without problems (small files and scracth option).
Or you can try to use your codec of choice without alpha (you get smaller files and better compression) and use the Arkaos alpha capabilities.

hope this help you
zaniz

Postby sow_fat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Developers have admitted that quicktime isn't the greatest for playback, except for quicktime photojpeg codec seems to be the best for quicktime. for straight playback without playing at different speeds, they recomend mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 encoding, as the FFMPEG decoder built into arkaos gives the best performance.

Unfortunately, and i've checked with them (on this message board), if alpha channel is needed, the only option is Quicktime Animation codec, selecting millions of colors+alpha when rendering.

hope this helps
sjp
sow_fat
Normal user

Return to Software - General discussion about software (other than ArKaos)