Bad performance on great MacPro

A general discussion about ArKaos and other software (i.e. other software that is part of your creation process like Blender, After effects, Artmatic,..)

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

Bad performance on great MacPro

Postby JustVision » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm

I am a multimedia designer specialized in theatre video projections. For a long time I was using DVD's and a video mixer to get my footage to the beamer. But when I heard about Arkaos it looks like a much easier solution.

I use the latest Mac Pro
2,8 ghz quad core
10 Gb memory
3 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB
1 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
(i tried serval graphic card configurations (tried with 1 card, 2 cards etc.)

Actually Arkaos is not working for me, and I really want to use it a lot in the future. The problem is that the video is not running smooth. I tried all kinds of codecs from H264 to Mpeg. In quicktime the video's are running smooth and in good quality but as soon as I play them in arkaos it looks like there are dropping frames and it is not playing without these anoying tiny interuptions. Especially when I have video’s with high movement (like the system could not handle the video, but why is it working in Quicktime perfect then?).

I love the Arkaos interface etc, but the video performance is simply not good enough. I am using one of the best computers available at the moment, i just can't understand why it is not working.

Please help me out,

Postby artchaos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 am

Hi Justin !
We use apple-mac pro to,
eight core3ghz
4gigs ram
ati 1900xt512mb
and my Arkaosdmx working correctly in Hd res(1280x720),under OSX.
I think very important : We always use :Quick time (Photo-JPEG !!!)
Try the Quicktime-Photo-JPEG,to my mind....that will do !

Postby alchemist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Yes, the 2 formats that give more fluid videos (if they have a good frame rate, e.g. 30 fps) are :
- QuickTime PhotoJPEG
- MPEG 2
Expert user

Postby FraKtus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:50 pm

While it's working we do not recommend spanning the output of the ArKaos engine across several graphic cards.

When you plug 4 monitors on 2 graphic cards that have 2 outputs and span the output of the graphical engine over those 4 monitors there is a lot of pixels that are copied from one graphic card to the other.

The much more efficient way is to use the Matrox DualHead2Go to do such setup. When you do this and plug 4 monitors on the same graphic card there are no pixels that must travel between graphic cards.

If you need to use a lot of projectors or monitors you should try to use more than one computer.

Re: Bad performance on great MacPro

Postby Jellen00 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks for the great info,i really learn here,by the way i am new in this site....
Hoe that i am welcome here....

Re: Bad performance on great MacPro

Postby kanderson3454 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 am

What does spanning do exactly??

Return to Software - General discussion about software (other than ArKaos)