streaming photojpeg

A general discussion about ArKaos and other software (i.e. other software that is part of your creation process like Blender, After effects, Artmatic,..)

Moderators: Jdoniaute, crustea

streaming photojpeg

Postby Hybrid Image » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm

i run xp on 4400 x2 - 2gb ram - 7900 gto(512mb)
i render all my loops to 1024x768 photojpeg, using vegas8.

i read in a few posts that people were streaming loops directly, side stepping ram.
how is that possible?

in vegas8, when rendering with photojpeg codec, there are options to optimize for streaming.

does that help or hurt performance in Arkaos?

a very small number of my loops tear when i use photojpeg, so i was using forward codec an avi file. i would like to use QT exclusively.
if i use animation an a few loops and photojpeg on the rest, will i bog the cpu down more than using QT and WMP?
HIman

-----------------------------
ROMANCE with NO FINANCE is a DAMN NUISANCE
Hybrid Image

Postby matthieu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 am

Why not using MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 ? With these codecs and the latest ArKaos beta which should be a final release soon, you get a faster triggerring and a smoother playback (uses less CPU) than PhotoJPEG.

Optimize for streaming is good. It should reduce the time QuickTime needs to start the movie.
matthieu
Expert user

Postby Hybrid Image » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

i met a guy a couple weeks ago, who is using Xvid. his loops were only 320x240, but it seemed to work.
but every forum i go to and every person i have talked to says not to use mp4s or mjpegs for vjin' in general.
specificly for Arkaos, they say what the website says; cinepak, sorensen, dv, photo jpeg, or animation.

so what gives?

also, how do you like the new beta? stable?
HIman

Hybrid Image

Postby matthieu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

It depends. We have different kind of users and we advise them differently.

QuickTime PhotoJPEG is perfect for VJs because it has no temporal compression and to play the movie backward, scratch, change speed etc. you need to have no temporal compression.
Also PhotoJPEG is used by professionals because it keeps the quality at a high level, better than MPEG.

However in high definition PhotoJPEG is too CPU intensive. MPEG-4 is better. But only with ArKaos 3.6.5 and only if you play the movie forward only, no scratch etc.
matthieu
Expert user

Postby Hybrid Image » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm

word.
i run my loops fwd and bkwd.
and my projectors' native res is 1024x768, so i don't go any higher than that.

but, to my original querry.
if 95%-99% of my loops are photo jpeg and the few that tear when i render them with photo jpeg(usually because the original is 30fps and i set all my loops to 29.97fps).
will it be more efficient to keep them as an avi jpeg format, which is what i am currently doing.
or use animation and have all my loops run on QT?
HIman

Hybrid Image

Re: streaming photojpeg

Postby adrjork » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:09 am

Hi guys, I've a doubt:
I render 640*640 photo-jpeg videos for Arkaos, but Quicktime asks me to export at low...mid...high quality.
A 5' video in HiQ p-jpeg is 20mb, while in MidQ is 4mb.
I run Arkaos on a macbookpro (256mb video card), so, in your opinion, a MidQ p-jpeg could be managed better than a HiQ p-jpeg? Or it's (more or less) the same? (Note that I have to use 2 or 3 layers in Arkaos, with transparency effects.)
Thanks
adrjork

Re: streaming photojpeg

Postby adrjork » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 am

Hi guys, I've a doubt:
I render 640*640 photo-jpeg videos for Arkaos, but Quicktime asks me to export at low...mid...high quality.
A 5' video in HiQ p-jpeg is 20mb, while in MidQ is 4mb.
I run Arkaos on a macbookpro (256mb video card), so, in your opinion, a MidQ p-jpeg could be managed better than a HiQ p-jpeg? Or it's (more or less) the same? (Note that I have to use 2 or 3 layers in Arkaos, with transparency effects.)
Thanks
adrjork

Return to Software - General discussion about software (other than ArKaos)